Baker women advance to HAAC finals with 2-1 victory
Two first half goals were all the Baker University women's soccer team needed Thursday evening to move past Avila University into the HAAC Championship game Saturday night against Graceland University.
Alix Schiraldi put the Wildcats on the board first with a goal just seven minutes into the contest after she received a ball in the box from Ashley Ukena.
Kylie White scored what would end up being the game-winning goal in the 37th minute on a cross into the box from Skylar Baker.
Avila ruined the shutout for the Wildcats in the 86th minute as Danielle Price finished a goal after receiving a ball from Tracie Geile.
The Wildcats out shot Avila 17-7 overall and 10-4 on goal. Goalkeeper Maggie Dupes made three saves in the contest.
“The girls came out early and set a great pace,” said head coach Nate Houser. “They were able to keep the ball and create some great chances and finish them. I thought we got great effort from our new players and great leadership from our returners.”
Baker (12-3-1, 6-1-1 HAAC) will face Graceland University in the 2011 HAAC Championship game (10-5-3, 5-1-1 HAAC) at 5 p.m. Saturday from Liston Stadium.
More like this story
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown
- Sheriff's office investigating allegations of missing money from Wakarusa Township fireman's fund
- GOP plan to overhaul Kansas school aid could move quickly
- Analysis: Kansas GOP lawmakers set up debate on higher taxes
- Feds: Hotel owners replaced legal workers with immigrants