Tonganoxie man, 37, pleads guilty to raping young girl
A 37-year-old Tonganoxie man pleaded guilty to child rape and three other counts Friday for molesting a girl when she was first 6 years old, Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson said.
Edward Everitt Peel Jr. entered the pleas in Leavenworth County District Court, and Thompson said Peel is expected to be sentenced to serve 23 years in prison.
On the rape and two aggravated indecent liberties counts, Thompson said Peel molested the girl multiple times between June 2002 and December 2004, when she was between 6 and 8 years old, while the girl was visiting other children at a Tonganoxie residence. Peel also pleaded guilty to soliciting the child several years later when she was 14 years old.
Thompson said the offenses occurred prior to Jessica’s Law passing in Kansas, under which defendants can face a life sentence for child sex crime convictions.
Peel’s sentencing is scheduled for June 24. Assistant county attorney Cheryl A. Marquardt prosecuted the case.
More like this story
- Child molester Scott Bivins sentenced to 11.5 years in prison for crimes against two girls east of Baldwin City
- 13-year sentence likely in online sex sting
- Carbondale man sentenced to five years in Internet sex solicitation case
- Kansas man pleads guilty to child porn
- Couple face life terms in sex abuse cases