Sunday morning accident lands Baldwin City man in hospital
A 61-year-old Baldwin City man was taken by LifeStar helicopter to the Kansas University Medical Center early Sunday morning after a single-vehicle accident north of Baldwin City.
According to Douglas County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Steve Lewis, the accident occurred shortly before midnight when Claude Chappelle's southbound Mazda pick-up truck hit a ditch in the 400 block of County Road 1055, which is north of Baldwin City.
Medics and Douglas County Sheriff’s officers called for a LifeStar helicopter ambulance to land at the Vinland airport to transport Chappelle, whose injuries were described as serious by emergency dispatchers. Chappelle was listed in serious condition Monday at Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., a hospital spokesman said.
Medics with the Palmyra Township Fire Department, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical and the Baldwin City Fire Department were among those who responded.
Sheriff’s officers were still investigating the accident Monday, including a report that another vehicle hit Chappelle’s truck after the accident and fled the scene.
More like this story
- Man airlifted to KU Med after auto accident east of Baldwin City, vehicle was being pursued by Wellsville Police
- Driver flown to KU hospital after one-vehicle accident
- Missouri man dies from injuries in U.S. 59 motorcycle wreck
- Motorcyclist injured in Sunday wreck released from KU Hospital
- Baldwin City resident taken by Life Flight after fall