Austin wins regional title, leads third-place Bulldogs
HOLTON — Jesse Austin led the Baldwin High School wrestling team at the Class 4A regional here this weekend.
The 285-pound senior was the lone regional champion for the Bulldogs, who finished third as a team. Saint James Academy and Bonner Springs tied for the team title.
Austin pinned his De Soto opponent in the finals. The match lasted 40 seconds.
Baldwin qualified six wrestlers for the 4A state tournament in Salina next weekend. Juniors Andrew Morgan (125 pound) and Cody Sellers (130) each finished runner-up in their weight classes after close matches in the finals.
Senior Greg Schiffelbein (140) and junior Colton Bonner (215) were the third-place finishers for the Bulldogs. Freshman Tucker Clark (112) was the lone fourth-place Bulldog.
Sophomore Bryce Shoemaker, defending 103 state champion, was unable to compete this weekend after injuring his foot at practice Tuesday.
The Bulldogs will begin wrestling on Friday morning in Salina. There will be a full story and photos in Thursday’s Signal covering the regional tournament.
More like this story
- Kansas City streetcar construction to finish this fall
- KSU researchers develop heat-tolerant wheat
- Sheriff's office investigating allegations of missing money from Wakarusa Township fireman's fund
- Tuesday evening farmers' market to bring more locally grown food options to Baldwin City
- Baldwin City, township firefighters battle prop blazes