Baker newspaper, student-journalists receive awards, honors
The Baker Orange, the student newspaper at Baker University, and its online site received top honors at the Kansas Associated Collegiate Press’ annual conference April 17-18 in Hutchinson.
The Orange received the KACP’s All-Kansas Award for four-year, private-college newspapers and bakerorange.com won the All-Kansas Award for all four-year newspaper websites. All-Kansas recipients earn the highest point total in their competitions. This was the 12th time the Orange has received the All-Kansas newspaper award since 1998.
In addition, Kyle Davis, Topeka senior, was named Journalist of the Year in the four-year newspaper competition. Davis is editor in chief of the Orange and bakerorange.com. He also is a part-time reporter for the Baldwin City Signal.
Members of the Orange and online staffs also won 26 awards in individual competitions, including eight first-place awards.
A week earlier the Orange and bakerorange.com won several awards in the Society of Professional Journalists’ Mark of Excellence contest for Region 7, which is open to student publications in Kansas, Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska. The SPJ awards were announced April 9 in Overland Park.
The Orange placed third in the Best All-Around Newspaper competition for nondaily newspapers, while bakerorange.com placed second for Best Affiliated Online Site. Students also won awards for online feature reporting.
In March, bakerorange.com won first place for online slide shows in the Apple Awards, a best-of-show competition at the College Media Advisers conference in New York.
Gwyn Mellinger and Dave Bostwick co-advise the Orange and bakerorange.com.
Individual award winners follow. Unless designated otherwise, awards are from the KACP contest.
• Lauren Anderson, Gardner, first place, front page design
• Rachel Dannen, Overland Park, honorable mention, news photography
• Kyle Davis, Topeka, first place, sports feature writing, editorial writing, sports column writing, interior page design; second place, sports feature writing, sports column writing, interior page design, copy editing; honorable mention, news writing, front page design
• Jordan Dolbin, La Mirada, Calif., second place, multimedia storytelling; honorable mention, feature photography
• Christopher Duderstadt, Overland Park, honorable mention, sports feature writing, sports column writing
• Rachel Hawkins, Lenexa, first place, interior page design; second place, photo essay; third place, editorial writing; honorable mention, front page design, photo essay
• Amanda Helm, Baldwin City, first place, sports feature writing; honorable mention, column writing
• Patrick Howell, Overland Park, first place, feature photography, photo essay; second place, photo essay, multimedia storytelling
• Marlee Johnson, Olathe, third place, online feature reporting (SPJ)
• Dounpen Mary Loveland, Wichita, third place, online feature reporting (SPJ)
• Tera Lyons, Strasburg, Colo., first place, multimedia storytelling; second place, online feature reporting (SPJ)
• Reina Murphy, Schenectady, N.Y., honorable mention, photo essay
• Megan Perry, Spring Hill, second place, single ad design; honorable mention, single ad design
• Meagan Thomas, Florissant, Colo., honorable mention, copy editing
• Chelsea Twietmeyer, Cheney, third place, online feature reporting (SPJ)
More like this story
- Deadline nears for Baldwin City Chamber of Commerce awards nomininations
- Christie wins another term, three new members elected to Baldwin City Council
- City government organization hosts April voting contest
- Baldwin City to pick 3 council members, 4 board members in Tuesday's election
- Baldwin City Council agenda, Oct. 19, 2015