Archive for Thursday, October 7, 2010

Brown, Gregory to debate issues at community forum Oct. 13

October 7, 2010

Tony Brown and TerriLois Gregory will openly answer questions together at a public forum for the first time before the Nov. 2 election.

The candidate forum for the Kansas House of Representatives 10th District will be Wednesday at Baker University. The Baldwin City Chamber of Commerce will be the host of the public forum for the two candidates at 7 p.m. in McKibbin Recital Hall in the Owens Music Building on Baker’s campus.

“We’re really trying to encourage people to come out and vote,” said Jay Randels, forum organizer. “Anyone who is unsure on any of the issues that either Tony or Terri Lois stand on will get a chance to listen to their answers and maybe help them decide on how they want to vote.”

Randels added that both candidates are happy to present themselves in front of the public at the forum.

“Both of them want the opportunity to stand up in front of the public and explain who they are and what they believe in,” Randels said. “They are both very willing to do this.”

Brown and Gregory will be answering questions they received before the forum. Randels will be sending them the questions early next week.

“We will let the candidates review the questions, so they aren’t blindsided by anything,” he said. “We try not to direct a question at one person. It’s more along the line of issues that are important right now, such as education and the state budget. Those are the types of questions we will ask them.”

Anyone wanting to submit questions for the public forum may send those to the Signal at jgillispie@baldwincity.com. Those questions will be reviewed and possibly added to the forum. Ivan Huntoon will be the moderator for the event.

“We will give each candidate a chance to answer the questions and put their platform out there for the general public here in Baldwin City,” Randels said.

Brown is the incumbent for the 10th District, which covers Baldwin City, Wellsville, north Ottawa and south Lawrence, having first been elected to the seat two years ago. Gregory is the challenger for the state representative seat.

Comments

BaldwinDad 3 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone know where Terry Lois Gregory stands on most issues her website is extremely vague? I checked as of writing this and the only comments she has on their is her belief in limited Govt, about supporting education and the 10th amendment?

I'm just very concerned with the lack of information she provides for someone running for public office.

Personally I'm voting for her because she's running against Brown. Don't care what her stance is - already know Brown's.

It's good to know the voting strategy of the incompetent!

BaldwinDad 3 years, 6 months ago

Torch, what if she has the same stance as Brown on all the issues??

While I don't agree with Brown on quite a few issues I would never blindly pick someone else simply because they choose a different animal mascot for their yard signs.

rumpledforeskin 3 years, 5 months ago

Well, nobody's yet accused you of being intelligent.

BD, She says so much, she doesn't really say anything at all......kind of like Brownback. She plays to the ignorant, simple-minded electorate in that she uses the diversion tactics of 2nd Amendment and Abortion as important issues facing our state/district.

flying26u 3 years, 6 months ago

Drunks shouldn't post uintil they sleep it off

hipgrrrrl 3 years, 6 months ago

I know Terri Lois and she's a person of high integrity and moral fiber. I think that whether one agrees with her political viewpoints or not, those two things are something worth admiration.

She's smart, capable of analytical thinking and likes to get things done. It is my understanding that Terri Lois has been in BC for some time and also has family ties here.

Not being a professional politician, maybe she's not so much "...us[ing] the diversion tactics of the 2nd Amendment and abortion as important issues..." as being optimistic in her goal to address those particular issues at a higher level. Perhaps they are personal issues for her.

I haven't decided if Terri Lois will make a good representative for our district or not, but I do know that she is sincere, caring and focused. Could be that she's sincere, caring and focused on issues that you disagree with, greyghost :).

And by "some time" you mean about a year, right?

Google her, folks. Until very recently, she was in Gardner--and everything you can find about her took place in Gardner. Nothing wrong with that; it's just that when you've got your cheerleaders making a point of declaring how long you've been in the community you hope to represent, instead of coming out and being quite frank about when you moved there and why (to get a party foot in the door), people may wonder about your honesty and motives on other issues. Such as The Issues.

And as far as I can tell, her platform is to insert religion into politics. Oh, joy.

rockytop 3 years, 6 months ago

And as for having "high integrity and moral fiber," how about some plain old courtesy first? The kind that means you ask the business or the homeowner FIRST before planting one of your signs in their yard?

I wish the self-important B.C.'ers would quit acting like the 10th District is all theirs. "Our" representative will represent Wellsville, north Ottawa, south Lawrence and everything in between those points. B.C. is just one spot on that map.

One of the biggest problems we've had with candidates for office in recent years has been that so many of them enter office with their minds already set -- about everything! These people run not because they want to serve the public, but because they already have pet projects or causes that they want to do something about. Not only do they have no intention of representing important sectors of the voting public that they are supposed to serve, but they couldn't if they tried. We need candidates who are well-rounded and capable of a broad spectrum of thought processes.

I won't say that I'm convinced that TerriLois Gregory has what it takes, but I will say that I am convinced that Tony Brown does not. And that is from watching him in B.C. government and from comments he has directly made either to me over the years (not on this forum but in person) and comments he has made that have been quoted in the Signal. Last, but not least, my husband wrote to him and to Tom Holland over a year ago, stating the case of what was happening to our small business, and seeking some kind of answers or support for the plight of small businesses in this recessionary environment. We received no response from Tony Brown (or should I say, his staff). No. Response. Not even a form letter "thank-you-for-contacting-me-I-care-about-my-constituents..."

Baldwin City to Nan: Yes, we know that your company has been cheated and hoodwinked out of many construction jobs. It's so unfair! Here--why don't you get it all out of your system so we don't have to hear you whine about it ever again---just click on the link below and raise your voice high in the chorus:

There, now.... Feel better?

Peabody 3 years, 6 months ago

Friends and Neighbors,

There seems to be a lot of confusion about how long my opponent in the upcoming election has lived in the 10th District. Allow me to save us all some time.

Miss Gregory's most recent Kansas Voter Registration Application, which is a public document, is dated March 12, 2009. On this document she states, under warning of the consequences of submitting false voter registration information, that her residence in Baldwin City was established on January 1, 2009.

Records indicate that she did not vote in the 2009 Baldwin City municipal election. These records do indicate that the first time she voted in the 10th District was in the August 2010 Republican primary.

If I have incorrectly reported any of these public records, I welcome Miss Gregory's correction in this forum.

Tony Brown State Representative, 10th District Baldwin City

completelytoast 3 years, 6 months ago

So it's come to this?

Instead of an exchange of ideas about improving our economy and creating jobs, we get insinuation about residency from Mr. Brown himself. His supporters have taken his cue, so now we get to read details of his opponent's divorce and speculation over her weight and appearance. Good grief.

I'm not certain you're going to win Tony, I am certain you've diminished yourself here.

Matthew Vajnar Baldwin (In case your supporters want to do some more "opposition research")

Obviously (to most of us), Tony's comment on Ms Gregory's residency here was made just to clarify whether she actually even HAS such residency--something many of us have doubted. Since she apparently has not stumbled her way into Speakout yet (or hasn't figured out a strategic way to respond), he probably did her a favor by confirming that she even has a foot in the community. Her supporters should be thanking him, rather than criticizing.

As for debating the issues--after last night's debacle, where she was so overwhelmingly outclassed and showed herself to be (to put it as politely as possible) clueless and full of cliches ("lock and load"? Seriously?), you and her other supporters are probably desperately hoping that people will return to incidental topics, such as "what is the candidate's favorite color," "where is the candidate's dream vacation destination," and similar fluff. Perhaps she could make a better showing if the questions required no more complex a response than, "Blue" and "Sandals Resort, Jamaica."

As usual, Tony displayed knowledge, thought, and preparation in his comments. He works hard, reads and listens, and works well with others--across party lines, which is an increasingly rare quality in legislators. He is certainly the better choice of candidates.

true_bulldog 3 years, 6 months ago

That's interesting. I've seen where she claims to have lived here since 2007. If that's so and she didn't register to vote here until 2009, a few questions come to mind. She didn't vote in the 2008 election (Presidential, people) or she voted elsewhere (i.e. Gardner, Johnson County, etc.)? Surely she voted. Evidently not by the rules. TerriLois, did you vote? TerriLois, did you vote in Gardner?

Previous posters have wondered if she's a Carpetbagger. Sure makes me wonder. I also have noticed the questions about her name and the confusion that causes. Seems she's been married and divorced -- twice. But only one bankruptcy. I'd like to know about all of that, too. Standing behind God and Guns, which she does, seems a bit odd given her voting and marriage history. Wonder if she actually owns a gun? Ever fired one? I'm thinking Carpetbagger and I know the people of the 10th District are smarter than that. She's a fraud.

Stacy Napier 3 years, 6 months ago

Doing a search of public records in Johnson County KS and Jackson County MO shows her first marriage when she went by Terri Anne Gregory (same date of birth) to Robert E Grove in 1985. She listed her address as a PO BOX in Johnson county KS. She then lived in Independance and Kansas City MO while married. Her second marriage in Feb 2000 to Kenneth D Slyter who lived in Gardner. At that time she listed her address as Kansas City, MO. Deed records show she bought a house in Feb of 2000 in Jackson county Missouri when she was single. At that time she listed her address as 209 W 78th street KCMO. The mortgage was not paid off untill Nov 2002 when they sold the property. She was then divorced from Kenneth in 2007.

Seems she has lived just as much of her life in Missouri as in Kansas.

As with Tony's info. All this is obtained by public records and I also welcome Miss Gregory's correction.

true_bulldog 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow, notwhatyouthink, that was good. Answered my questions about her marriages. This is public record, folks. Seems like TerriLois' Carpetbagger existence is coming to the fore. It scares me that someone would actually try to become a politician with this kind of baggage.

More baggage? Have you actually met her? The picture she has provided to the media is a "glamour shot" of her at least 5, maybe 10 years ago. That picture was many years ago and many pounds ago. Let's get real. TerriLois, you are a farce.

flying26u 3 years, 6 months ago

When YARD-SIGNS begin to look faded it's time to replace the canidate>

VOTE GREGORY!

rockytop 3 years, 6 months ago

Can't say that I've noticed any faded signs but seriously, this is a problem? I'd rather have someone in Topeka who's careful with money and makes things last as long as possible than someone who's already had to declare bankruptcy once because she couldn't manage her own finances.

Stacy Napier 3 years, 6 months ago

Nobody on any of these blogs who is for Terri has said what they don't like about Tony. (except his bumper sticker) Has anybody looked up his vote history? or is everything just personal?

I also forgot in my last post that a google search of Terri found that she ran for Gardner Edgerton School Board in 2001. I hope some questions are answered at the debate.

hipgrrrrl 3 years, 6 months ago

Did Terri Lois grow up around here? I seem to think she might have but can't remember why that sticks in my head.

While not terribly pertinant, I am kinda interested in the virulent commentary about her by people who don't know her. Is it necessary for an incumbent to live in BC for 20 years before anyone thinks they have validity? We do live in a very mobile society and there aren't that many people that stay in one place for their whole life. If she is a relative newcomer, does that mean that she can't be effective in an elected role? I find that to be a strange concept. Perhaps it is just a fear of the unknown or something. I think (being a relative newcomer myself) that she might offer some new views on things and not be satisfied with the status-quo (nothing personal directed at our current representative).

Or, is it simply a disagreement on her stated platform that some find threatening enough to actively attack her on other fronts?

Also, does it really matter how much she weighs or how fabulous she currently looks in person? Studies do show that more attractive a candidate is the more likely they are to win - but does anyone here willingly admit that's what pivots their decision?

This is an interesting board if it is viewed as a sociological study :).

They do this every election. Did you read this forum and see what they were trying to do to George McCrary in the mayoral race? It's the same group of folks, every time. This is their modus operandi (that's method of practice for those who don't like the Latin phrases that are commonly used in the English language). They don't want anyone to talk about their candidate of choice, so they try to get the conversation going against the other candidate or, if there is more than one, the one that seems most threatening. Seems to work quite well for them. Makes me sick.

BaldwinDad 3 years, 6 months ago

My only issue Hipgrrrrl is Terri Lois seems to be trying to portray herself as someone that has lived here all her life or has very deep and long standing ties to the community. Which she obviously doesn't. This tends to make me think that is not as trustworthy as you would believe. Also if this is just her supporters who are stating this, then she needs to come out on record and correct it.

While normally this is not an issue to me how long you lived here, I would assume that the length of residency would show how in tune you are with the people you are asking to vote for you. Also since she is EXTREMELY vague on her website on what she believes or why she is running I really can't feel like she is doing this for any other reason then she wants to be popular or thinks Tony is an easy mark.

All in all at this point I really don't like either of my choices as both seem to have allot of issues for me, but I will keep an open mind.

true_bulldog 3 years, 6 months ago

You are missing the point, hipppgirl. It is TerriLois' platform at issue. God and Guns. That is all she has stated. How can anyone possibly buy into that? Who isn't for God and Guns? You don't run on that platform. That she is hiding behind that with her history makes people wonder. Same with the "glamour shot." You've seen her. You know her. Why would she do that?

K_dub 3 years, 6 months ago

Good grief! Totally agree with the irrelevancy of Terri Lois and her personal appearance. As for the time she has spent in Baldwin...I think the only thing that comes into question is the fact that what she says and what really occurred do not match.

I think the question/answer forum will clear up any issues about who is [or isn't] ready to represent the 10th District in Topeka. Please attend if you have any questions. 7 pm, Wednesday October 13th - McKibben Recital Auditorium at Baker.

hipgrrrrl 3 years, 6 months ago

Actually, lots of people aren't for God and/or for guns. Isn't the appearance of our candidates at these sort of forums one way they answer questions and present their points? I suppose she could also stand at the street corner with a bull horn, but I'm not sure that the noise ordinance Mark Dunn ran afoul of would permit it :).

Plus, it seems as though she is for more than "God and Guns." According to Terri Lois's website she:

"I am endorsed by the Kansas Chamber of Commerce , National Federation of Independent Business, and the Franklin Co Tea Party, showing I support a leaner more efficient government and lower taxes so Kansas businesses stay in the state - keeping jobs. Reasonable state spending and lower taxes is the key to creating an environment that attracts businesses and creates jobs. In this race for who will represent you in Topeka the choice is clear"

Nor does her website state that she's been in the 10th Distric for any length of time. AND, just because you brought it up, I have perused her photos. Frankly, she doesn't look anything but fluffy (read ample) in any of 'em, but her hair is done and she has a good make up job. Perhaps there has been a filter used on one. There are clearly recent pics posted, so I can't even figure out the lack of trust on that one. I don't see anything there that's indicative of anything other than a woman who knows how to present herself in an attractive fashion.

I also am a bit confused about all the slamming about her name. What's up with that? So she has a few names...my mother (bless her creative little heart) gave me four...and then there was my silly choice to hyphenate during my first marriage (five, count 'em) and the failure of that since that choice was not a good one, then back to my maiden and then to another since I married again.

It's not the questions I find odd, it's the virulence regarding these weird accusations I find confusing.

Is Terri Lois a carpetbagger and a teabagger? This may be a first......

Stacy Napier 3 years, 6 months ago

Hip,

If you put your trust in a leader that has not made in your own words good choices, than I know why the county is in the shape it is in.

Tell me what "weird accusations" where made?

flying26u 3 years, 6 months ago

Take back America, VOTE FOR TERRI LOIS. TERRI STANDS FOR TRUTH AND WILL NOT LIE LIKE HER OPPONENT AND HIS DEMOCRAT PARTY. ALL DEMOCRATS MUST BE VOTED OUT OF OFFICE!!!

BaldwinDad 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow...blind allegiance much....I prefer to vote on the candidate not the party. Considering the only difference between the two parties in this country are their animal mascots.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 6 months ago

I am disappointed that I am a little late seeing this, but I wanted to share with you my encounter with Terri Lois Gregory. Everyone knows she went knocking on everyones door, asking for peoples votes. I was a little eager for her to show up to my door, as I wanted to hear what she had to say. Her opening line was, "did you know that the present incumbant has raised taxes altogether of 19%." My response, "Well, I know I am poor, but, I know that taxes are used to make our schools better, roads, and many other things that we need as Kansans, and I do not mind at all paying my part to better our community and state." Her response, "well, looks like im not your gal." And she walked off. My husband and I stood there dumbfounded, and a tad bit disgusted. Is this what she is going to do, walk away from the very people she is going to "help?" There is not a chance in hell I would vote for that woman. She presented no argument back to me on how she would fix the taxes and still be able to do what we needed to do. She just walked away.... is that the kind of representation we want for our district?

and flying26u.... Last time I checked, we are all Americans, so exactly.... who are we taking America back from?

BaldwinDad 3 years, 6 months ago

I heard as much of the same from my Sister, when she was approached by Terri Lois Gregory, my sister said while she was not rude she was very short and after about 5 minutes into her why I'm better then the other guy rhetoric she imply asked could I put a sign in your yard. My sister said no, not because she didn't like what she was saying but because she had not really gotten to know her at all. At that point she said thanks for your time and left, didn't seem to really want to fight for her cause.

I'm wondering if half the people who have her sign in their yard even have a clue what she really stands for. The fact that she has Lynn Jenkins support makes me even more hesitant to support her. I did notice that as of today she does have more information on her website as to what she stands for which does help to get to know her better, but I still would like to see some actual proposals as to how she plans on doing what she is stating.

Also everyone whether you support Tony or Terri, keep in mind these people are NOT your friends. I know in small community this often gets confused, but these people are applying for a job that you will pay for. Don't just think that since you know them and that since they live here or go to a local church and or university that they should be trusted. We need to grill them on the issues that truly affect our community and Kansas as a whole, don't let either candidate get away with simply statements like I support x or y, make them state how they would support it or how they plan on fixing it.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 6 months ago

haha, you mention Lynn Jenkins and all I can think of, "its the great white dope of Kansas!" It really does make me wonder if people even realize what she stands for and what she believes in. I know someone voting for her simply because they are in the same church.

Yes it is true, these people are NOT your friends, they are running for a job, that is going to impact our lives. Whether you are Red or Blue, know what you are voting for, and make a responsible educated choice. Not just because "ooh her sign is green and its my fav color!"

I personally have had many conversations with Tony Brown, he came to my house after I inquired about what he stood for after I researched him. I wanted to hear from the mouth of the man and watch him speak to get a feel for him. I encourage everyone to approach the opposite side, and speak to them. I tried both, and one didnt work so well. So I tried the other.. and found that there are alot that I agree with on his side.

Terri Lois is endorsed by the Franklin County Tea Party...... I think that is why everyone is calling her a teabagger. If that is such a bad word, then why affiliate themselves with the group that is a bit.. ummm....... out there. When I think of Tea Party people, I think of Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, and gulp Christine O'Donnell.

defenestrator 3 years, 6 months ago

Scofflaw!!!

Ain't nothin' like someone who just doesn't think she has to follow the rules wanting to go to Topeka to force us to live by her teabagger principles.

Also, ain't nothin' like a Ms. Family Values who has now burned through two marriages. Ain't sayin' there isn't a reason to get out of a bad marriage, but I find it rather humorous that this teabagger wants to define what marriage is.

BaldwinDad 3 years, 6 months ago

You know if you are trying to make a point you would do better to not use terms like Teabagger, it makes you seem much more small and simple minded then the people whom you are attempting to insult.

defenestrator 3 years, 6 months ago

Blasted, darn-fangled thing doesn't search properly from a URL.

Do a search using this link for name of last name of Gregory and first name of "Te" and do a partial name search. Do it for both Criminal and Civil.

hipgrrrrl 3 years, 6 months ago

This is getting funny. Okay, so a candidate got a speeding ticket and a documented divorce. Yea gads. The horror of it all.

I'm afraid this comment thread has become too ridiculous - even for me. Lots of luck in pushing your candidate. Please note the snarkiness makes me really, really, really want to vote for the person you oppose :). I wonder if I'm alone in this desire.

defenestrator 3 years, 6 months ago

hip,

You usually make so much sense. I'm surprised you would simply cast your vote out of spite instead of whether the person would make a good legislator or not. Sadly, I suspect you are not alone in your desire. That's why there are so many 'baggers out there. 'Tis a shame.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 6 months ago

eeeek nooo dont do that! Think of what you and your family stands for, and what you would want for your childrens future (if you have kids?). Ask questions, research and make a choice that you believe in... :-)

thelongestnameonthespeakoutttt 3 years, 6 months ago

Terry Lois came to my house and I invited her in. She stayed for approximately 10 minutes and we had a great conversation covering numerous topics. Sorry to those who had a bad experience, but mine was excellent. I agree, vote the dems out. You can see the fear in these democrats with the name calling. Buh bye Tony.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 6 months ago

How do you know they are a dem when they are calling them a teabagger? I have seen many republican friends refer to people as teabaggers.

defenestrator 3 years, 6 months ago

If there's any fear its that the ill-informed voters will put into office a completely unqualified scam artist who believes in "second amendment remedies", which essentially means that if she and her followers don't get their way they believe that they should be able to pull out their guns and go overthrow the elected leaders of our democracy. I think that's more than adequate reason to be fearful of nutbags like Gregory.

BaldwinDad 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow...you sound almost as rabid and sane as flying26u does.

Before you start labeling everyone with the same broad strokes of your prejudice brush I would suggest maybe listening to what the candidate says tomorrow.

true_bulldog 3 years, 6 months ago

Amen, defenestrator. Well put. Be careful what you wish for.

defenestrator 3 years, 6 months ago

This is really interesting for a professed "smallest possible government" hypocrite. Look at all the time taken by public servants to handle Ms. Gregory's divorce proceedings. The best part? She only paid $147 in fees to make this happen. Wanna know who paid the rest of it? I guess we're lucky that it was the Johnson County taxpayers that time (since she didn't move over to Douglas County until 2009 as best as we can tell):

11/05/2008 FILE STAMP 11/3/2008, CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE; FOR MAILING 10/17/2008 SCHED. COURT TRIAL on 11/10/08,02:00pm,Div 7 10/17/2008 CANCELLED MOTION on 11/10/08,02:00pm,Div 7, . 10/17/2008 <* Bench Notes ***> APPEARANCES: PETITIONER ATTORNEY LEWANNA BELL-LLOYD, RESPONDENT ATTORNEY TINA VEGA COURT SETS TRIAL ON NOVEMBER 10, 2008(RPTR: PFANNENSTIEL)(JUDGE: HAUBER) 10/08/2008 SCHED. MOTION on 11/10/08,02:00pm,Div 7 10/08/2008 CANCELLED MOTION on 10/17/08,01:00pm,Div 7, COUNSEL NOT AVAILABLE. 08/26/2008 FILE STAMP 8/25/2008, NOTICE OF HEARING, (10/17/08 @ 1PM) 08/26/2008 FILE STAMP 8/25/2008, AMENDED MOTION FOR ATTORNEY FEES AND MOTION TO ENFORCE ORAL SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT 08/19/2008 SCHED. MOTION on 10/17/08,01:00pm,Div 7 07/24/2008 FILE STAMP 7/23/2008, CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE 06/05/2008 Changed Case Status: From: PENDING To: CASE TERMINATED (SETTLED, MEDIATION/ARBITRATION) 04/10/2008 CANCELLED COURT TRIAL on 04/16/08,01:30pm,Div 7, SETTLED, PER JUDGE MORIARTY. 04/08/2008 FILE STAMP 4/1/2008, CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE; FOR MAILING 04/02/2008 SCHED. SETTLEMENT CONFERENCE on 04/09/08,02:45pm, Div 14 02/07/2008 FILE STAMP 2/5/2008, AMENDED NOTICE OF NEW TRIAL SETTING - 04/16/08 01/14/2008 SCHED. COURT TRIAL on 04/16/08,01:30pm,Div 7 01/14/2008 CANCELLED COURT TRIAL on 02/06/08,01:30pm,Div 7, CONTINUED, PER CONSENT OF COUNSEL. 01/09/2008 FILE STAMP 1/7/2008, NOTICE OF TRIAL; 2/6/08 @ 1:30 PM 12/19/2007 SCHED. COURT TRIAL on 02/06/08,01:30pm,Div 7 09/18/2007 FILE STAMP 9/13/2007, CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE; FOR MAILING 07/25/2007 FILE STAMP 7/18/2007, CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE (MAILING) 06/14/2007 Defense Attorney LOOMIS, ERNA K assigned on 06/14/07 06/14/2007 FILE STAMP 6/12/2007, ENTRY OF APPEARANCE, (ATTY: ERNA K LOOMIS FOR RESONDENT) 06/14/2007 FILE STAMP 6/12/2007, ANSWER (TERRI L SNYDER, RESPONDENT) 06/08/2007 FILE STAMP 6/5/2007, DOMESTIC RELATIONS AFFIDAVIT OF KENNETH D SLYTHER (FAXED 15:58) 05/01/2007 FILE STAMP 4/24/2007, PETITION FOR DIVORCE 04/24/2007 Judge: JANICE D RUSSELL Assigned to Case NEW CASE FILED; KENNETH SLYTER VS TERRI L SLYTER; FILING FEE OF $147.00 PAID BY BELL-LLOYD LEWANNA ; , Receipted Amount: $147.00 , Check No: 1599, Receipt NO: 07011779

BaldwinDad 3 years, 6 months ago

Do you even have any clue what your talking about...LoL....you don't pay the courts anything but the filing fees for a divorce.

The real costs is what she pays her own a attorney which can be upwards of $1000 dollars or more.

You really are a fruitcake.

defenestrator 3 years, 6 months ago

There's so much interaction with public servants that I couldn't even post all of it at once. Here's the remainder of it:

11/02/2009 FILE STAMP 10/30/2009, QUALIFIED DOMESTIC REALTIONS ORDER 06/01/2009 FILE STAMP 5/29/2009, PARTIAL TRANSCRIPT OF HEARING HAD ON 3/19/2009 TAKEN BY KELLEY M PFANNENSTIEL, CSR, RPR 04/20/2009 FILE STAMP 4/17/2009, PARTIAL TRANSCRIPT OF HEARING HAD ON 3/19/09 TAKEN BY KELLEY M PFANNENSTIEL, CSR, RPR 03/23/2009 FILE STAMP 3/19/2009, NOTICE OF SERVICE OF EXHIBIT'S A-M 03/19/2009 <* Bench Notes *> APPEARANCES: FORMER DEFENDANT ATTORNEY - TINA VEGA, DEFENDANT TERRI GREGORY SLYTER COURT SETTLES ATTORNEY FEES IN THE AMOUNT OF $4,530.50. COUNSEL TO PREPARE ORDER AND LETTER TO MS. BELL-LLOYD TO OBTAIN RESPONDENT'S PERSONAL PROPERTY.(RPTR: PFANNENSTIEL)(JUDGE: HAUBER) 03/18/2009 FILE STAMP 3/16/2009, WITNESS AND EXHIBIT LIST 03/17/2009 FILE STAMP 3/12/2009, AMENDED MOTION TO ENFORCE ATTORNEY'S LIEN (FAXED 16:07) 03/12/2009 FILE STAMP 3/10/2009, RESPONSE TO MOTION TO COMPEL SIGNATURE AND ENFORCEMENT OF ATTORNEY'S LIEN 02/17/2009 <* Bench Notes *> APPEARANCES: PLAINTIFF ATTORNEY - TINA VEGA, DEFENDANT ATTORNEY TERI LOUIS GREGORY COURT APPROVES WITHDRAWL COUNSEL AND ORDERS PARTIES TO SUBMIT FURTHER EVIDENCE REGARDING DISPUTE OF THE FEES.(RPTR: PFANNENSTIEL)(JUDGE: HAUBER) 02/17/2009 SCHED. MOTION on 03/19/09,04:00pm,Div 7 02/02/2009 FILE STAMP 1/28/2009, NOTICE OF HEARING, 2-17-2009 @ 9:30 AM (FAXED 12:40) 02/02/2009 FILE STAMP 1/29/2009, QUALIFIED DOMESTIC RELATIONS ORDER 01/27/2009 FILE STAMP 1/27/2009, TRANSCRIPT OF BENCH TRIAL HAD ON 11/10/08 TAKEN BY KELLEY M PFANNENSTIEL, CSR, RPR TAKEN ON 11/10/08 01/27/2009 FILE STAMP 1/26/2009, MOTION FOR WITHDRAWAL 01/27/2009 FILE STAMP 1/26/2009, MOTION TO COMPEL SIGNATURE AND ENFORCEMENT OF ATTORNEY'S LIEN 01/26/2009 SCHED. MOTION TO COMPEL on 02/17/09,09:30am,Div 7 01/08/2009 FILE STAMP 1/5/2009, NOTICE OF ATTORNEY'S LIEN- FAXED AT 13:26 01/02/2009 FILE STAMP 12/31/2008, SATISFACTION OF JUDGMENT 12/24/2008 VITAL STATISTIC FORM SENT 12/05/2008 Defendant GREGORY, TERRI LOIS added on 12/05/08 12/05/2008 FILE STAMP 12/4/2008, DECREE OF DIVORCE, (QUIT CLAIM DEED AND MAIDEN NAME RESTORED) 12/05/2008 FILE STAMP 12/4/2008, DECREE OF DIVORCE 11/10/2008 <* Bench Notes ***> APPEARANCES: PLAINTIFF ATTORNEY - LEWANNA BELL-LLOYD, DEFENDANT ATTORNEY TINA VEGA. COURT TRIAL - DIVORCE GRANTED. FARM TO HUSBAND SUBJECT TO TWO MORTGAGES MONEY MARKET ACCT. DIVIDED. 1/2 YK TO WIFE AS OF 11/8 LESS $15,000 VALUE AND LOAN OF 5K. WIFE GETS HALF OF GBA STOCK, LESS LOAN $5,000 TO BE PAID BY HUSBAND AS ALIMONY PLUS A $25,000 EQUALIZATION PAYMENT. REFINANCE THE REAL ESTATE.(RPTR: PFANNENSTIEL)(JUDGE: HAUBER)

BaldwinDad 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow...I guess you have never had to file suite for anything or had suit filed against you. Our court system is a convoluted mess of paperwork and filings. All so the laymen could not possibly figure it out. This way people like you who are obviously clueless are forced to hire attorneys so they can figure out the mess our legal system has become.

As I said before I have no real faith in either candidate at this point but you really need to chill out, cause the majority of your posts make no sense since it's obvious you have no clue what your talking about.

In-fact your posts make a better case for Gregory and her smaller Govt mind set cause it shows how the system works against us forcing us to employ Lawyers and others to navigate the complex filing and paperwork that is been put in place by our local Govt.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 6 months ago

now lets be nice... not everyone has had to deal with the court system.. i unfortunately used to work for them, in a round about way...

the court filing fees are accurate for that time, they just went up in april of 2010 i believe.

and as far as how messed up the civil system is.. i blame some attorneys for that one, mainly out of greed. ive seen some shady attorneys in my day, and they will charge an arm and a leg for a simple piece of paper.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 6 months ago

mommie2boogie 3 years, 6 months ago

sorry for the double post... good old mediacom internet fouling up for ya ;-) lol

mommie2boogie 3 years, 6 months ago

ummmm.... i pulled up the divorce under jococourts.org... simply out of curiosity... she was the defendant/respondant in the case... Now am I taking this incorrectly that she didnt pay her fees and had to give up personal property????

<* Bench Notes ***> APPEARANCES: FORMER DEFENDANT ATTORNEY - TINA VEGA, DEFENDANT TERRI GREGORY SLYTER COURT SETTLES ATTORNEY FEES IN THE AMOUNT OF $4,530.50. COUNSEL TO PREPARE ORDER AND LETTER TO MS. BELL-LLOYD TO OBTAIN RESPONDENT'S PERSONAL PROPERTY.(RPTR: PFANNENSTIEL)(JUDGE: HAUBER)

defenestrator 3 years, 6 months ago

Nice. So if she was the defendant then that means that the spouse must have actually filed for divorce. Of course we'll never know what might have happened, but it's kind of interesting to see the man filing for divorce instead of the woman.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 6 months ago

yes she was the defendant, you can click on the button after the case comes up, its labeled plaintiff/defendant. it comes up has him the plaintiff and her the defendant.

that section that I posted (as well as you) was just from 2009!!!!!! Geez, I wish I still worked up there I would just get the file and do a little light reading... it is after all public information. I want to know why attorney fees were not paid, and even her attorney quit from what I understand on there.

Also, you can click on associated cases, and it comes up that she filed an exparte order of protection that was dismissed in 2007. She was the plaintiff in that case.

hipgrrrrl 3 years, 6 months ago

To clarify: I won't be voting for anyone based on what someone else has said. I just stated there was a temptation, not a determination. Don't worry :).

Also, to pick apart and imply moral failing in regards to divorce that we know nothing about is not commonsensical. I can speak from my own experience and surely others on this board could as well. What about the spouse that has an affair and leaves for their lover? The "good guy" who over a few years of the marriage developed a problem with alcohol and violence (true story)? The variations are endless and sometimes, the fault is not spread around evenly. Do I want to vote for a politician who has provided evidence of moral failure? No. Do I assume that every person who has been divorced evidences moral failure? Also no.

Terri Lois came by our house and since I have a passing acquaintance with her, it was nice to see her. Her issues are not necessarily mine, however, and she didn't have adequate information to specifically address the concerns I have with current leadership. She presented a good case, however and was charming and appeared sincere in her belief that she could make a difference...which is something I like in a person, political affiliation nonwithstanding.

BaldwinDad 3 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for your honest open and clear head opinion Hipgrrrrl, its nice to see at least someone on here not spreading ignorance and hate speech.

true_bulldog 3 years, 6 months ago

Very well stated, hip. Good points and well presented. See, this isn't all about insults.

rumpledforeskin 3 years, 6 months ago

I just wonder why the heck Ms. LoisGregory can't post on here and clear things up. If she were a resident of BC, she'd surely know of our local rag. Right?

hipgrrrrl 3 years, 6 months ago

Maybe she doesn't share our addiction for superfluous commentary :).

Also, regardless of ideology, I've got a lot of respect for someone who is willing to go door to door and pound the pavement. I've had flyers delivered to my mailbox, I've had some supporters/volunteers come by to hand out candidate information, I've even gotten phone calls (blech) but I do not ever, ever recall a candidate knocking on my door to talk to me personally. Usually it's just those juvie young adults that someone has bussed in so they can try to threaten me into buying a magazine subscription.

It's too bad Terri Lois had a few less than optimal encounters with some people. On one hand, it's not hard to imagine she'd had a difficult day considering what she's doing, but that creates a unfortunate image that's clearly hard to shake.

I still think her personal campaigning style is pretty great.

true_bulldog 3 years, 6 months ago

TerriLois (see, more confusion over name Ms. LoisGregory) doesn't have anything to gain here by answering anything. Her voting record says it all. It's proof positive no matter what she says. She was here before registering in 2009? Didn't vote in 2008 or voted elsewhere even though she'd "lived" here since 2007? No win situation for her. Keep tight lip.

Not one, but two divorces for a woman of God? Nothing wrong with that, granted, but does it look right? Especially for a politician? Nope, trying to stay firmly behind that cloak of church.

More? Nah. Hardly a tea bagger's choice and she knows it. Better stay quiet. That's all she's got going for her.

Stacy Napier 3 years, 6 months ago

Just for everyone's info here is the missouri case lookup. It works for the whole state.

It is a good resource along with the Johnson county courts to check on anyone, not just candidates.

rumpledforeskin 3 years, 6 months ago

Whoa. I wish everyone who is on this little dialog could have been there tonight. Tony was genuine in his answers. TerriLouise seemed to be delivering a middle school civics report... reading from prepared notes, in fact. She said, referring to the federal government, "we are under attack; it's time to lock and load." For reals?! She wants less government. But can someone tell me what less government even means? I like roads. I like schools. I like those things in my life that I would not be able to provide myself without the degree of socialism that is in our blend of government. (Yes, Virginia, we have had a somewhat-socialist government since Day One -- it is not an Obama invention.) Anyhooo... was cringe-worthy, and you all were sorely missed. Unless you were there, and I just didn't recognize you. Oh, and by the way, Tony did not call her out on her residence. He was more civil than he needed to be. She, on the other hand, accused him of lying and held up the flyer (from Kansas Democrats -- not Tony, specifically) that was in the mail today claiming she would raise property taxes. I'm not sure how that's a lie, when in the first minutes of the debate, she said as much that property taxes would have to be raised to fund schools when the state was no longer on the hook for doing so. At least she didn't dispute this argument.

tuschkahouma 3 years, 6 months ago

I laughed as I heard her bring up supposed statements that sounded straight out of a 1980's GOP callbook. The bad part for Kansas is that the GOP recruits voters on maybe three issues, god, taxes, and abortion. Doesn't require much thought does it? As such campaigns have been dumbed down to the circus that is currently the tea party. Memo to moderate Republicans. I confronted Mrs. Gregory about attacking decisions made on taxes at the Kansas Statehouse that she accused Mr. Brown of supporting. I asked her how she could hold Mr. Brown, a Democrat, responsible for this tax vote when both the Kansas House of Representatives and Senate are Majority Republican. Shouldn't she be attacking her own party if she's running as GOP? I asked her if she was also against moderate Republicans or Rinos in their terms and she said yes. Be careful who you vote for. As for the 2nd Amendment issue she used as a hook to get voting interest... REALLY??? I own guns, we collect antique firearms and hunt. I am a Democrat who believes the GOP and the NRA play the race card on guns and use fear to get voters. The federal assault weapons ban lapsed and all one has to do is look at a Cabelas circular to see how these gunmakers pander to fear and sell many guns that look military issue in nature. Mr. Obama taking guns.... REALLY??!!??? many larger issues for him to deal with than worrying about how positionless and intellectually deificient candidates use fear to get votes and speak in code to do so. It's a shame that some of the voting blocs in this state and country are clueless enough to fall for this ploy over and over. H.L Mencken once said, "Never underestimate the stupidity of the American People" during the deregulated 1920's era of Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover, that led to the Great Depression. Can people rise above the disconnected and misdirected anger right now and actually hold their own GOP party acountable and stop being obstructionists? That's asking a lot....

Nathaniel Johnson 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't know how to post when I feel so concerned about a single race. I think my previous posts have had me coming off as some left wing freak. In the upcoming election I am only voting for two Democrats - Tony Brown being one of them, the rest of my votes will be for Republican candidates (Sandy Praeger is the other Democrat). I posted on my general opinions in regards to what she stated on her website and how it seemed disingenuous to me. Tonight's debate confirmed my suspicions but more importantly brought out two personally disturbing realizations.

TerriLois's patronizing attitude towards Veteran's makes me sick. She has this smug way of dropping the the word "Veteran" at every opportunity but never saying anything of substance about Veterans issues. My family, up to and including me, has a long and proud history of military service and I assure you that our service was not given to provide TerriLois's with sound bites. She has no right to link herself in any way to Veterans.

In the forum tonight there was this surreal moment in which Ms. Gregory was talking about 10th amendment rights and, in particular, Kansans being forced to have Health Insurance. She concluded her statements by leaning back in her chair, crossing her arms and saying that if the Federal Government forced the issue we would just "well.... Lock and Load". I was so stunned that I let out a surprised "What?" Anyone who was there knew that this wasn't hyperbole, she really believed it. Americans fighting Americans. That is simply blasphemous.

Nathaniel Johnson

Nathaniel Johnson 3 years, 6 months ago

It was pointed out that Sandy Praeger is a Republican. I don't watch television so I sometimes miss party affiliation with incumbents. I actually picked her without knowing her mascot based on her effectiveness in her current job. To be clear there IS one race where I won't vote Republican. That is the 2nd District race where the incumbent, Lynn Jenkins, has not been an effective legislator. The problem is that her opponent doesn't offer up any great ideas either. I will withhold my vote and wait a cycle.

tuschkahouma 3 years, 6 months ago

Emmanthauler, Sandy Praeger is a Republican.... please dispaly some knowledge when you vote.

That's your only response to Gruyere-Em's thoughtful and well-written post?

Hmmm...

As for that mistake, it is easy to see why he made it. Praeger comes across as reasonable and attentive to the issues that really matter, which makes it hard to remember that she's a member of the GOP. She is actually more in line with the (sadly stifled) formerly mainstream Republicans of old--before the reactionary Guns-n-God faction took over and reduced the party to the 3-ring circus of the present.

Anyway, if you can get past that one nit-picky error, Gruyere made several important and valid observations about the debate. T-L is a joke. But not a funny one, since the obedient will line up and vote for any clown who delivers the sound bites they listen for (God..guns.. Gov't is bad--unless my side is in charge... Gov't interference in our lives is bad--unless I get to tell you what medical procedures you can or cannot have... etc.).

Nathaniel Johnson 3 years, 6 months ago

I stood outside the debate last night and chatted with you for five minutes. I know based on your name and your matching ramblings. I even told you that I sign my posts with my real name. Your behavior, angrily confronting Ms. Gregory after the debate and using intimidation as your argument, is disrespectful and harmful to the process. You have become rabid in your support of Democrats. This kind of pathetic anti-intellectualism is what makes politics so hard to stomach every election.

Nathaniel Johnson 3 years, 6 months ago

This forum software stinks. It looks like I am responding to GreyGhost when in fact I am responding to tuschkahouma above.

tuschkahouma 3 years, 6 months ago

I confronted Terri Lois Gregory because I am an intellectual. She read from her pre-written statements like a high school kid giving a report while Mr. Brown sounded prepared like the professor and politician he is. There are politicians who are smart ones and politicians who say the right words without know their meanings. Terri Lois Gregory is the second one. I'm the intellectual who's smart enough not to be hooked lined and sinkered like the majority of rural Kansans who don't listen to the whole story and instead look for three or four postions to get behind and have done so electing do-nothing anti-intellectual Republicans for years. Those three or four positions make it really easy for dumblicans to court voters that they turn into dumblicans. I've been a Democrat for 22 years surrounded by people who get herded like cattle to vote for the same empty messages over and over said by the same smiling faces displaying little substance in Kansas. An anti-intellectual person I'm not. As for asking Ms. Gregory questions, politicians are supposed to be smart enough to answer questions, including tough ones. If the only way Ms. Gregory has to beat Mr. Brown is by slinging mud, she should expect mud in return. If one doesn't want to have mud thrown at them, maybe they shouldn't throw mud first. Maybe they should have more of an empirical background and platform and not just count on dragging someone's name through the mud to get elected. It will be interesting if these teabaggers get into office because all they seem to be concerned with now is muddying up the waters of civil discourse. They will probably be like the Bush people if not worse having no real plans beyond winning public office. We had do-nothings from 1980 to 1992 and from 2000 to 2008. What next???

rumpledforeskin 3 years, 5 months ago

I want to know who "The Kansas Chamber Political Action Committee" is. More lying BS showed up in the mail today pushing TerriLouise... but without anything other than just bashing Tony. What has Tony done that was so bad? What will Terri do besides vote the (tea)party line?

What is she going to do if she's elected and has to work with people who don't agree with her? Is she going to be petulant the way she was in the debate? Does she have "people skills"? I did not see them. Something tells me if she loses this election, she won't be living in this district long. Just too weird to have someone who has been a very active member of this community for as long as Tony has challenged by a relative question mark. If she's not a tea-party carpet-bagger, please let me know how I've miscalculated.