Baker Jazz Festival set for Nov. 18 and 19
The 13th annual Baker University Invitational Jazz Festival is set for Thursday and Friday, Nov. 18-19, at Rice Auditorium on the Baldwin City campus. Admission is free and open to the public.
The festival begins with a concert at 7:30 p.m. Thursday. The Baker Jazz Ensemble, under the direction of J.D. Parr, will perform. Ed Bingham, director of jazz studies at Marshall University in Huntington, W.Va., will be the guest soloist on the flute and saxophone.
Led by Bingham, the Marshall Jazz Ensemble has performed at numerous jazz festivals, including the prestigious Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland.
From 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, 18 high school jazz bands from Topeka, Olathe, Shawnee Mission and surrounding areas will perform before a panel of four jazz critics, led by Bingham. At the end of the day the outstanding student jazz soloists will receive commendations from the jazz artists and a recording of their performance.
More like this story
- Baker University's first Kauffman Scholar looking to give back
- Baldwin High School cross country teams deep with experienced talented
- Baldwin City Barracuda swim team successfully 'tests the waters'
- Baldwin City team wins Sunflower State Games wrestling team championship
- Downtown Baldwin City community party Saturday