Archive for Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Gregory prevails in 10th District House race

Baldwin City voters cast their ballots Tuesday afternoon at the American Legion Hall.

November 2, 2010

Republican TerriLois Gregory rode a big majority in Franklin County to wrest the Kansas 10th District House seat from incumbent Tony Brown.

In the race between two Baldwin residents, Gregory doubled Brown’s vote total in Franklin County. Gregory outdistanced Brown 1,530 to 711 in the district’s southern-most county. That proved more than enough to overcome Brown’s strength in Douglas County, where he won 2,847 to 2,534.

“I very humbled and grateful for the people who helped me,” Gregory said Tuesday night. “I’m looking forward to serving the people of the 10th District in Topeka. I just put my faith in my Creator and am looking forward to it.

“I would like to thank Tony Brown for his past service. He executed his duties to his constituents very well. I wish him the best in the future.”

Brown, a Baker University professor, was seeking his second term in the House. He was elected to the House in 2008, succeeding fellow Democrat Tom Holland when he chose to make a successful run for the Kansas Senate.

In defeat, Brown said he was honored to represent the 10th District.

“I congratulate Ms. Gregory on her victory and wish her the best of luck in the future,” he said.

Gregory, the first Republican elected to the 10th District since Holland won the seat in 2002, was one of 92 Republicans to win seats in the 125-member House on Tuesday and part of a GOP wave in Kansas that saw Republicans prevail in all statewide races.

She looked forward to working with the new administration and her party leaders in Topeka to “give government back to the people,” Gregory said.

“We need to implement more government efficiency and hold government accountable about how tax money is being spent,” she said. “It’s not going to be easy, but I have a lot of confidence. Kansas has always come through, and we are going to survive this.”

Comments

rumpledforeskin 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, win or lose, we won't be seeing her around town anymore.

So glad Brown is gone...he won't have to 'feel bad' about taking $300 million out of Kansans' pockets again.

As usual, Torch, your bitterness drowns out any common-sense impulse you might possibly have. Did you GO to the debate between these candidates? If you had, you would have been embarrassed by the painfully obvious lack of coherent thought or preparation exhibited by terriloiscarpetbagger as she stumble-clucked her way through her poorly prepared notes and clichéed declarations--all presented against a sanctimonious scrim of Guns-n-Jesus.

We get it. You don't like Tony. You think that today's needs can be funded on 1965 dollars. But to vote out of spite for a carpetbagging, inarticulate cretin over a very capable, reasonable, intelligent person who has demonstrated dedication to the district is thickheaded, to say the least.

The carpetbagger has no vested interest in District 10, much less Baldwin proper. You and your fellow "taxes are bad, mkay?" sheep will find that out over the next two years and I suspect it will be a painful awakening for you.

thelongestnameonthespeakoutttt 3 years, 9 months ago

Bye bye Tony Brown. I will be looking to see if you put your "Kansas. As bigoted as you think sticker back on". Good riddance and don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

LibertyLover 3 years, 9 months ago

This is some of the BEST news in the election !! Go ahead and put your "bigoted as you think" sticker back on, don't forget the Darwin fish too. Oh, and those solar panels you got for your home, you know the ones that you said "there are more efficient ways of doing this but solar panels are visible and they make a political statement", well now you can just sit back and enjoy those political statements. Guess the voters weren't so dumb this time. And...... yes, the "elitists" all voted for Tony but the "normal" people voted for TerriLois. Guess there's just more normal people around still !! Praise the Lord, we have spoken ! Out with the self proclaimed "Progressive".

karma2010 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh good. I see the remarks from the kind of people that would vote for Gregory. This district will be sorry when all is said and done. When you her "real agenda" and who she really is comes out then enjoy. Evil still prevails.

Stacy Napier 3 years, 9 months ago

With her accounting shifts you can guarantee that the rural schools will be closed when the belt tightens even more for money from the state.

You can't keep cutting tax dollars and have everything provided by the government. Everything is pay to play.

Julie Craig 3 years, 9 months ago

"Lock and Load" Gregory will not have any power in the Kansas legislature, but this sent a bad message to the rest of the State about our District. Scary.

true_bulldog 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it's a sad day. Troubles me that Franklin County voters decided it. What does that tell you?

That people in Baldwin may have to come to grips with the fact that the world does not revolve around them.

true_bulldog 3 years, 9 months ago

As usual, Nan, you miss the point. It doesn't have anything to do with Baldwin City. It has to do with Franklin County determing this election. You are stupid, but we all know that. I hope you finally go away. But you think you are so important for some reason. You are an idiot.

Nathaniel Johnson 3 years, 9 months ago

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice." Ephesians 4:31 (ESV)

karma2010 3 years, 9 months ago

Well okay then let's see. What does the bible say about people who deceive, lie and steal. I don't believe that anyone here is speaking out of malice, just the plain truth. In the end the truth will come out and everyone in District 10 will see what kind of person they have elected. This is not over by a long shot. Now we get to suffer the wrath of Terri or is it TerriLois or whatever name she goes by now. Ever ask yourself why someone changes their name every so many years? Do some research.

Nathaniel Johnson 3 years, 9 months ago

Well I did do some research. Go look at all my posts against TerriLois. The election is over. Put it to rest.

Nathaniel Johnson gruyere.emmentaler@gmail.com

karma2010 3 years, 9 months ago

Okay. Then as a test you tell me what is her real name?

karma2010 3 years, 9 months ago

I apologize. I finally read your previous posts.

Peabody 3 years, 9 months ago

LibertyLover,

You have exposed me. I oppose discrimination, I believe in the scientific theory of evolution, and I think we should develop alternative forms of energy such as solar, wind, and geothermal power. I cannot imagine these positions are outside the mainstream of most Kansans.

On the other hand, I could be totally wrong.

Tony

Nathaniel Johnson 3 years, 9 months ago

Good to see you back on the boards Tony. You are in good company this cycle. Russ Feingold, a personal hero of mine was defeated.

Nathaniel Johnson gruyere.emmentaler@gmail.com

karma2010's post nailed it. The ignorant rubes have prevailed this time. Or think they have. After they get a gutfull of terriloiscarpetbaggerbarbie, maybe they will appreciate everything Tony did for the 10th District. Maybe not, though. I don't have a lot of confidence in their being educable.

Tony, you might have had a better chance with this group of voters if you had approached them on a level that they understand. You know---by dyeing your hair blond, putting NRA stickers on your vehicle, and promising a handgun in every cradle and a crèche on every school lawn.

LibertyLover 3 years, 9 months ago

Noticed quite a few "thank you" signs on the top of the TerriLois Gregory signs around the area. What a nice touch !!
You are welcome TerriLois !!

ksrush 3 years, 9 months ago

Hey tree huggers, dont feel too bad you still have Obama running the rest of the country into the ground. Kind of funny to see the cultural elite who are so "understanding and tolerant " show their true colors. I guess in the future you will have to suffer with lower taxes and less goverment.

karma2010 3 years, 9 months ago

What is even more funny to those who "really" know Terri is that you all have been made fools of. Deceived! You can sugar coat poop but it is still poop.

true_bulldog 3 years, 9 months ago

That's encouraging to know. Doesn't surprise me, though. Ugh.

karma2010 3 years, 9 months ago

By the way ksrush, I am not a Republican or Democrat. I vote for the right person for the job. Parties just cloud the issues. Gotta love voters who vote just based on a party. Nice comment about the tree huggers and all. Shows a lot of intelligence. Oh, now I see why she got elected.