Heat advisory issued for Douglas County
The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory for Douglas and surrounding counties. The advisory will be in effect from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday.
The combination of high temperatures in the 90s and dewpoint temperatures in the mid-70s will cause heat index readings to be between 105-110 degrees.
Counties included in the advisory are:
Prolonged exposure to heat index readings above 105 degrees can cause:
If you plan to be outside, the NWS recommends avoiding long periods of sun exposure and strenuous physical activity. Use sunscreen, drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids to avoid dehydration and wear light-weight, light-colored and loose fitting clothing.
It is likely the advisory could be extended into Thursday as portions of northeast Kansas are expected to see a heat index above 105 degrees.
More like this story
- Wellsville man charged for alleged actions in Wednesday Douglas County State Lake incident
- Wellsville man accused of attacking, robbing man at Douglas County State Fishing Lake
- Kansas man sentenced for 17th drunken driving conviction
- Kansas man charged with abuse after human remains found
- Man found guilty in Douglas State Fishing Lake aggravated robbery