Fourth of July events in area
Lawrence “Independents Day”
• When: 4 p.m. Sunday.
• Where: Watson Park.
• What: Food from Lawrence Originals, 20 local restaurants — the “Independents” — will offer smaller portions of their food at lowered prices.
Live music from 4:10 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. by The Alferd Packer Memorial String Band, Lance Fahy, The Electric Limes and Billy Ebeling and the Late for Dinner Band.
• Fireworks: Lawrence Jaycees will start the 45-minute display at 9:45 p.m.
Seventh Street will be closed between Kentucky and Tennessee streets during the celebration.
• When: Dusk Sunday
• Where: Best viewing is from Eudora High School/Middle School parking lots.
• When: 9:30 p.m. Sunday.
• Where: Best viewing is from Stan Braksick Sports Complex.
• When: Food for sale at 6 p.m.
Live music starts at 7 p.m.
Fireworks display starts at 9:45 p.m.
• Where: Riverfest Park. Lawn chairs and blankets are welcome. Outside fireworks and alcohol are prohibited.
Topeka Spirit of Kansas Festival
• When: Begins at 10 a.m. Sunday, concludes with fireworks, which start at 10 p.m.
• Where: Lake Shawnee.
• What: Arts and craft vendors, car show, food, children activities, entertainment, water-ski show.
• Admission: Free.
• When: 5:30 p.m. Sunday.
• Where: Basehor-Linwood High School.
• What: Food, games for children, live entertainment. At 6 p.m., parade starts; at 8:30 p.m., presentation of Citizen of the Year award; at 9 p.m., color guard, gun salute and national anthem, followed by fireworks.
Two area celebrations this year were canceled:
• Baldwin City: Steve Friend, recreation commission director, said the decision was made to cancel the Fourth of July celebration because the person responsible for the event will be out of town.
• Lake Perry: The fireworks display was canceled because of lack of funding, said Mike Stanley, manager at Lake Perry Yacht Marina.
— Alison Cumbow
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Lumberyard Arts Center schedules full slate of classes
- Lenexa man suspected of injuring kids, damaging cars
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Four possible parking lot sites near BJHS/BHS campus reviewed