Bulldog fall in Top Gun finale, finish runner-up
WELLSVILLE — Baldwin High School’s girls’ basketball team finished second in the Top Gun Tournament here Saturday night for the first time since 1999.
The Bulldogs fell to Spring Hill 56-49 in the Top Gun championship game. Spring Hill became the sixth school to win the tournament during its 20-year span.
“It was a very good week for us,” coach Bob Martin said. “I thought we played well all week and we improved from the beginning of the week. We gave championship effort tonight, but didn’t play with championship poise.”
Baldwin won the Top Gun five times from 2002-2007, but hadn’t returned to title game since 2007. BHS finished runner-up in 1999.
The Bulldogs led 39-36 entering the fourth quarter, but Spring Hill erased that during the first three minutes. Baldwin kept fighting to tie the game or take the lead, but was forced to foul. Spring Hill made 14 free throws during the fourth quarter to seal the win.
Baldwin will host Northern Heights at 6 p.m. Tuesday at home.
More like this story
- Wichita State gets $5 million, mostly for honors college
- Baldwin Junior High School recognized with two statewide honors
- Baldwin City graduate season starts Saturday with Baker School of Professional and Graduate Studies commencemnts
- Baldwin City artist Tom Russell dies
- Kansas City Connection: A new home for Halls