Barn south of Pleasant Grove fully engulfed in fire
A barn at a farm on U.S. Highway 59 south of Lawrence, near Pleasant Grove, was fully engulfed in fire Wednesday night.
According to Douglas County Sheriff Sgt. Ed Swanson, the barn was about 40 feet from the home.
Swanson said law enforcement was dispatched to the home about 9:14 p.m. His deputy was the first to arrive at the scene, at which point the barn was fully engulfed.
Law enforcement shut down U.S. Highway 59 north of County Road 460 to better enable fire crews to battle the blaze. Heavy smoke was visible over the road and in the area.
Swanson said the barn had a wood frame and corrugated tin siding. He didn't know the complete contents of the barn, but hay bales were inside. He could not estimate what the damage was or what the cause of the fire had been.
Swanson said it was a multi-agency response to the fire, including units from both Eudora and Wakarusa township. Other units from Willow Springs Township Fire Department also responded to the fire and requested mutual aid assistance from the other water tankers in Douglas County.
More like this story
- Christie wins another term, three new members elected to Baldwin City Council
- Baldwin City to pick 3 council members, 4 board members in Tuesday's election
- Turnout slow this morning at Baldwin City polling sites.
- Newly elected Baldwin City Council members to be sworn in Monday
- No charges after federal probe into Kansas election loans