BHS girls’ tennis off to solid start
The 2009 Baldwin High School girls’ tennis squad debuted Sept. 2 at the Mill Valley junior varsity meet in Bonner Springs with a number of wins.
Freshman Kaitlin Jorgensen placed first in singles. Echo Craig and Brooke Morgan placed second in doubles, while Nicolle Sanchez and Alexis Finucane placed fourth in the same category.
The varsity squad premiered at Topeka-Hayden on Sept. 3.
Junior Kara Protasio and sophomore Hayley Schwartz both placed third in No. 1 singles and No. 2 singles, respectively. The duo of Michaela Krysztof and Kara Hoegerl placed second in No. 1 doubles.
Topping off the placings at Topeka-Hayden were Deanna Beall and Alison Berg, coming in at fourth in No. 2 doubles.
“Topeka-Hayden was a trial for setting our varsity line up, which gave us good experience,” Protasio said.
The varsity meet scheduled for Sept. 9 in Spring Hill, as well as the JV meet against Mill Valley at home, were rained out.
The next meet for varsity is Saturday at Marysville. Coach Justin Hoffman believes the girls to be prepared.
“I think that they will do well,” Hoffman said. “It will be the first match for about eight of the players and they will probably be nervous, but I think they will play just fine.”
The varsity Baldwin Invitational is scheduled for Wednesday at Baldwin High School.
More like this story
- Annual Wellness Festival approaching
- Closure of Kansas hospital highlights rural care challenges
- Wellsville man accused of attacking, robbing man at Douglas County State Fishing Lake
- Kansas City Connection: Bonner Springs balloon fest puts the helium in Halloween
- Baldwin Elementary School Primary Center, Baker receive LMH wellnes grant