Archive for Thursday, September 10, 2009

City council told of good news concerning speed limits on U.S. 56

September 10, 2009

Baldwin City Administrator Jeff Dingman had some good news for the city council at Monday’s meeting regarding speed limits, but not quite as good as hoped for.

Dingman said he’d been informed by the Kansas Department of Transportation that after a traffic study of speed limits in and out of the city, the limits would be lowered, but not as much as he’d hoped for.

“They’ll be reducing speed limits from 60 mph to 55 mph at the ends of town,” said Dingman, adding that in a letter he’d sent to KDOT he’d asked for the limits to be 45.

Mayor Ken Wagner commended Dingman for his efforts to reverse the change in the speed limits coming into town that were changed several months ago.

“Essentially, it’s going back to where it was?” Wagner said of the limits. “I really felt strongly that the city needed to speak about this. I appreciate Jeff’s efforts with this.”

There were five routine matters of business that the council approved and the council also unanimously approved the final plat for the Baldwin School District’s subdivision request on the land south of Baldwin Elementary School Intermediate Center.

“The planning commission did recommend the plat to the governing body,” said Dingman.

The council also approved the mayor’s appointments of five people to the Cemetery Advisory Committee. It was to be formed after the city took over operations of the Oakwood and Pioneer cemeteries. Appointed to the committee were Jim Ballinger, Roger Boyd, Gene Nelson, Richard Wellman and Kevin Garber.

Dingman also told the council that the city-wide cleanup that was in August brought in more tonnage than ever before, although he didn’t have the exact number and said Tina Rakes, who headed up the effort, would provide that at another meeting.

“The city-wide cleanup was very successful,” said Dingman. “It was probably the biggest one she’s had since she’s been here.”

Councilman Robin Bayer, who heads the safety committee, told the council that a feral cat program will be started soon where the cats are trapped, spayed or neutered, and returned. The program has been planned for several years, but is finally going to be started.

“The hope is that after we implement this, we’ll see a reduction in the feral cat population,” said Bayer, adding that it’s been estimated there are 100 feral cats in about 10 colonies around the city. “The first trapping is more of a trial run.”

He also told the council that a radar-based speed monitor has been purchased that flashes the speeds that cars are going as they approach it. The monitor had been at Seventh and Indiana streets for the past week or so, but was being moved Wednesday morning to a new location. It will be set up at various places around town to warn motorists about going too fast.

Comments

TeaBagger 4 years, 10 months ago

So this feral cat program is another "pet" project of councilman Bayer? Do you know what is involved in this? You, the tax payer, are paying to have the cats trapped, fixed, and then put back in the exact same location. Please tell me how this solves the problem. Shows once again that this Bayer fellow is dumb as a sack of hammers (which I don't think surprises anyone). Why do I get the idea he is somehow making money on this deal?

Stacy Napier 4 years, 10 months ago

If you are so worried about the speed limits then why is the limit on the west side 45 until you get to 8th street. That is in the city limits and you can set it anything you want. Everyone knows that drivers drive 10 over. So that means cars go 55 and there are driveways and cross streets to turn out of.

Peabody 4 years, 10 months ago

TeaBagger,

Councilman Bayer actually has some solid evidence on his side on this issue.

I know it seems counterintuitive, but this strategy is actually the best practice for handling feral cat colonies. Killing or removing the cats just increases the viability of kittens born to the remaining cat population. The end result is that you just keep killing feral cats into perpetuity. I'd rather be Sisyphus.

I had doubts about this program also, but the data support it.

Tony Brown

Gopher 4 years, 10 months ago

Maybe so Tony. But I would think that a well executed plan of eradication followed by trapping, spaying or neutering, and returning them to their place of origin would be a heck of a lot more cost effective.

My neighbor had at least a dozen ferel cats living in her shed. I've trapped some and eliminated others with well placed lead. One remains.

But what does a guy with a wildlife biologist degree and worked in that field for 30+ years know about ferel cats? Maybe I'll just keep endlessly pushing that rock uphill.

Peabody 4 years, 10 months ago

Gopher,

I had no intention to offend you or your expertise. Heck, I didn't even know you were part of the conversation!

What I was trying to communicate is that the common sense strategy of just killing feral cats is ineffective because they reproduce faster than we can kill them. That seems to be fairly well documented by scientific studies. If you have other data to suggest otherwise, it would be helpful.

This is the strategy we got from experts in the field back when I was on the council. If you have a better, more cost effective strategy, then please submit your plan to city hall. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel if there is a better solution to the problem.

Tony

Gopher 4 years, 10 months ago

My perception of a forum like this is that it is indeed public and we're all part of the conversation.

I don't want to get into a jousting match with you, but sometimes you come off a bit too educated, informed and even smug. The Greek mythology god comment you made kinda got me going. I knew your intent only from doing crossword puzzles.

Everyone has opinions, so lets just let it go at that.

Peabody 4 years, 10 months ago

Gopher,

If you have a wildlife biology degree, then let's put it to good use for the community! For goodness sakes, I'm not attacking smart members of the community -- I like smart!

I am saddened to think that I need to hide what intelligence I might have on a public forum. I certainly am not the smartest person in the room, but I've been lucky to inherit smart genes and go to good schools. I don't feel the need to dumb that down -- that's what I have to offer to the citizens of Baldwin City and the 10th District.

I believe intelligence is an asset for public service. I understand that belief is not a universal opinion among the American public. I don't agree, but that is the voters' option.

Tony