Archive for Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Neighbors: Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn

November 25, 2009

Name: Mark Dunn

Occupation: Computer Hardware Technician

Family: Ian (16), Neil (14), and Nevin (12)

Place of birth: Dallas

Q. How long have you lived in Baldwin City and what brought you here?

A. I’ve been here for over 12 years. I wanted to raise the boys in a small town atmosphere. I was shooting for Lawrence, but only had two weeks to get settled to start my new job. I was fortunate enough to have stumbled onto Baldwin City.

Q. What’s the biggest risk you’ve ever taken?

A. Getting married.

Q. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

A Don’t let anyone ever break your spirit, and be nice to your siblings. In the end, they will be your only allies.

Q. What two things would you want people to know about you?

A. I’ve met Ozzy Osbourne and I do a decent job of covering Neil Young.

Q. What did you want to be when you grew up?

A. An astronaut. But I failed the application. I got everything wrong but the date of birth.

Q. What’s the best way for you to get away from it all?

A. Taking my camera out for a long afternoon drive.

Q. What’s your ideal vacation spot?

A. Grand Cayman…one day I’ll make it.

• Favorite things
  • Song: Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters – Elton John
  • Movie: The Jerk
  • Color: Blue
  • Food: My mom used to make Mac and Cheese with Spam in it when we were kids. I can still sit and eat a whole bowl of that today. I know...gross.

Comments

Peabody 4 years, 10 months ago

Mark,

While the food choice is certainly questionable, although very heartwarming, the movie choice is beyond any objective merit! Even Steve Martin would argue with that choice! What about Parenthood Two? Please!

I'm begging you to be a more vigilant critic!

Tony

hipgrrrrl 4 years, 10 months ago

I think mac-n-cheese with Spam sounds markedly better than the fried bologna sandwiches they serve down south (uck). I am also of the opinion that mac-n-cheese provides a foil that makes just about anything delicious :). You go, Mark. Stand proud!

Peabody 4 years, 10 months ago

Fried baloney is pretty gross, and I have to admit to eating a lot of it growing up. So I guess I can't really give Mark much grief about his favorite food choice.

But what about his choice of blue as a favorite color? It's difficult to argue over color choice, but this response seems a little bit too common in comparison to his other answers. Did he fully consider this question?

Tony

hipgrrrrl 4 years, 10 months ago

Hmmm...interesting thought. Perhaps the named favorite color is his nod to conformity? If Mark had stated that his favorite color was sapphire, cornflower, ultramarine or even perhaps periwinkle, our fellow Baldwinites might think he's downright weird :).

No one can really be blamed for gross food affinities forced on one by a parental unit, can they? If one can, I'm in trouble. My mom fed me a lot of really bizarre stuff :).

Peabody 4 years, 10 months ago

Love it! Lord help our parents for the grief they get from us for our childhood food. PopTarts have yet to show up on any food chart I have seen.

Better yet, what will our kids say about the swill we've been shoveling down their throats? So much for feeling smug about the previous generation.

Thanks for playing along, hipgrrrrl. I appreciate some nonsense during the holidays.

Tony

hipgrrrrl 4 years, 10 months ago

My oldest daughter thinks I'm commiting child abuse by feeding her a whole grain, organic and minimally sweetened diet. Of course, I thought my mother was abusing me when she forced a similar whole grain, organic and minimally sweetened diet kick on me when I was a child...I distinctly remember daydreaming about eating Twinkies and Wonderbread - and I do really, really feel for my kid - poor thing :).

At one point, my mother got into the middle eastern thing. Sometime toward the end of that, she decided we needed to have a closer connection to our roots and started feeding us traditional Scandanavian food...the big problem with that was her mixing the two during her transistion :). I could go on and on...her interest in provencial French cuisine did give me an appreciation for foods that less "educated" (tongue in cheek :)) palates might find remarkably gross...I still remember being incredibly excited about the TV dinners she'd buy us kids to eat when she was busy getting ready for a dinner party, though. I can still taste that metallic taste - ohhhhhhhhhhh, I just loved them!! That peach cobbler! The salisbury steak! Mashed pots! And all of it tasting like tinfoil. Oh no. Now I've gone and dated myself :).

Thank you, Tony. It's fun to chat and not be expounding upon presumably serious stuff.

Peabody 4 years, 10 months ago

We should have Mark Dunn be our featured neighbor every week! Can I get a second?

markdunn 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't think I could take this every week. You guys are strange! :)