Baker gala nets $135,000 in donations
Baker University raised more than $135,000 for general scholarships at “The Baker Magic” annual gala and auction on Nov. 14 at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center in Kansas City, Mo.
The scholarships benefit all four of Baker’s schools — College of Arts and Sciences, School of Professional and Graduate Studies, School of Nursing and School of Education.
Andrew Cherng, Class of 1970, and Peggy Cherng, Class of 1968, and owners of the Panda Restaurant Group, issued a challenge gift of $50,000 to the scholarship funds.
The evening included the presentation of a video showcasing Baker students excelling inside and outside the classroom. Students also thanked alumni and donors for their support of scholarships.
“The gala was a wonderful event, connecting our alumni and friends of the university with our students,” said Baker President Pat Long. “We have the most amazing and generous supporters and the challenge from the Cherng family provided a boost to the evening’s festivities.
The annual gala is scheduled next year for Nov. 20, 2010, at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center.
More like this story
- Hospitals push for Medicaid expansion in Kansas
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Baldwin High School musicans chill on State Honor Band experience
- Baldwin High School students commited fans of Bulldogs
- Baldwin High School wrestling coach teaches success on mat while building long-lasting bonds