Blasting begins for new U.S. 59; it will last a month
Drivers traveling on U.S. Highway 59 south of Lawrence may hear some unusually loud noise over the next month.
Starting today, crews will begin blasting work about a quarter of a mile north of North 500 Road, east of the existing highway.
The blasting will break up buried rock so crews can level the ground for construction on the new U.S. 59 realignment project.
The blasting will take place during daylight hours through the end of June.
Traffic will not be affected, and drivers are not expected to face any delays.
More like this story
- Milk production in Kansas more than doubled in past 20 years
- Some kidney transplant services to be offered in Wichita
- Lumberyard Arts Center schedules full slate of classes
- Excessive heat warning issued for Douglas County
- Kansas City Connection: Dance festival, Big Picnic, Van Halen make braving summer heat worth it