Tornado watch issued for area
The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch until 8 p.m. for five counties in Kansas, including Douglas, Johnson, Leavenworth, Wyandotte, Atchison, Brown, Doniphan, Jackson, Jefferson, and Nemaha.
The National Weather Service said there was a slight risk for severe thunderstorms over the entire area between 3 p.m. and midnight. Large hail, damaging winds and isolated tornadoes will be possible.
Forecasters said their best estimate for thunderstorm development would be after 3 p.m. near the Missouri-Iowa border, but said additional storms may form southwestward into east-central Kansas. Those storms could possibly form into tornadoes. The threat of severe thunderstorms should end by late evening, the NWS said..
Check back at this Web site for further updates.
More like this story
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Douglas County; Tornado watch continues until 10 p.m.
- Several northeast Kansas counties under severe thunderstorm watch
- Baldwin City in severe thunderstorm watch
- Douglas County, surrounding area in tornado watch until 9 p.m.
- Severe thunderstom warning issued for Douglas County