Q. Rotary International was organized in Baldwin City in what year?
A. It was organized on Feb. 22, 1929. There were 22 charter members that are listed by name in The Baldwin Ledger of April 5, 1929. The Club’s charter was delivered on April 5, 1929.
Q. Where was the “Johnson House” Hotel located in Baldwin City?
A. It was at the southeast corner of Sixth and High streets. It opened about 1883 and the library has a copy of the visitor record for some of the period from 1884 to 1901. Later, the city maps of 1905 and 1912 show it as a residence.
Q. The 1889 Baldwin Ledger lists the following as “benevolent organizations” of Baldwin City: 1) The Masons, 2) Odd Fellows, 3) G.A.R. and 4) A.O.U.W. What does “G.A.R.” and “A.O.U.W.” stand for?
A. “G.A.R.” is for Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of Union Civil War veterans. The “A.O.U.W.” is the Ancient Order of United Workmen. It was organized in Baldwin in Aug. 1890. The A.O.U.W. met in the Masonic Hall on the northwest corner of Sixth and High streets.
Q. How many fire alarms did the Baldwin City volunteer fire department answer during 1928?
A. There were a total of nine fires during 1928. Eight of them occurred during February and March. A new fire truck arrived in May and only one fire call happened after that. The volunteer firemen received $158 for the nine alarms.
Q. In 1928, what automobile manufacturer was listed as third in the volume of cars manufactured in North America?
A. The Hudson/Essex was in third place with 282,207 cars produced in 1928. Maywood Smith was the local Baldwin City dealer for Hudson/Essex.
More like this story
- Baldwin City, township firefighters battle prop blazes
- Sheriff's office investigating allegations of missing money from Wakarusa Township fireman's fund
- Sirens failed to sound in Nickerson as tornado hit area
- 2 injured after car explodes on Kansas expressway
- Baldwin City council hears updates on quality-of-life projects