Shooting in Douglas County sends Eudora man to hospital, suspect turns gun on himself
A Saturday night altercation in southeast Douglas County sent one man to the hospital and left another man, who police believe was the shooter, dead.
Sheriff's deputies say a 34-year-old Eudora man was shot in the back at a residence in the 400 block of E 2000 Road. Lewis said a 29-year-old Ottawa man took a .410 gauge shotgun to the house and shot the Eudora man before turning the gun on himself and killing himself.
The Eudora man's injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, but he was transferred to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, said Sgt. Steve Lewis of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.
"I don't think (it's a random act of violence)," Lewis said. "It's related to an ongoing situation at the residence."
Lewis said there were several others at the house to launch fireworks when the shooting occurred, but that the victim and the suspect were not related.
Sheriff's deputies were dispatched to the scene at 8:17 p.m. Saturday night and as of Sunday afternoon had completed most of the investigation, Lewis said.
More like this story
- Popular downtown venue newest Baldwin City park
- 25 years on, disabilities act has changed lives of millions
- Baldwin City approves housing start incentives for another year
- Baldwin district to survey parents about increased in-town busing fee
- Baldwin school board makes needed budget adjustment for next school year