BHS boys sweep; BHS girls advance in Top Gun
Baldwin High School’s boys’ basketball teams swept Osawatomie at home, while the BHS girls’ squad advanced to the semifinal of the Top Gun Tournament on Tuesday night.
Four BHS varsity boys’ players scored in double figures as the Bulldogs defeated Osawatomie 65-54. Brandon Tommer led the Bulldogs with 18 points. Also scoring in double figures were Zach Wright (14), Sam Beecher (12) and Justin Vander Tuig (11). Baldwin will next host De Soto at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
The junior varsity boys’ team narrowly beat the Trojans, 56-49, despite shooting 12 of 28 from the free throw line. Nate Growcock led the team with 14 points as Josh Hoffman added 10.
The BHS freshman boys’ squad easily beat Osawatomie. The Bulldogs won 39-18 Tuesday. Chip Kueffer scored a game-high 13 points. Ian Dunn chipped in eight.
The BHS JV and freshman boys’ teams will play De Soto on Friday as well. The JV will start at 4:30 p.m. with the freshman to follow at 6 p.m.
For the 19th straight year, the BHS varsity girls’ team has won its opening round game of the Top Gun Tournament. The Bulldogs beat host Wellsville, 62-30.
Tracie Weege sank five three-pointers in the victory as she led BHS win 18 points. Ramie Burkhart added 15 while Alex Zordel scored 10. The Bulldogs will play No. 1 seed St. Marys at 7:45 p.m. Thursday.
More like this story
- Baldwin City council hears updates on quality-of-life projects
- BCRC tweaks start of Baldwin City community center drive
- Maple Leaf Festival grand marshal honored for work with festival, Lumberyard Arts Center
- Renovations at Kansas Aviation Museum nearly complete
- Conceptual plan for new public works complex shared with Baldwin City Council