Archive for Thursday, January 22, 2009

Five candidates file for city positions

January 22, 2009

There was a flurry of candidate filings during the past week, with three people filing for mayor, two for Baldwin City Council and one for Baldwin School Board.

“You have a race for mayor,” said Douglas County Clerk Jamie Shew.

Incumbent Mayor Gary Walbridge, Council Member Ken Wagner and one-time Council Member George McCrary filed for the city’s top spot. Filing for council were political newcomers Dan Broers and Rick Gere. Incumbent School Board Member Bill Busby filed to make it three-for-three for incumbents. Ande Parks and Ruth Barkley had already filed for re-election.

Walbridge made the decision last week.

“Oh yeah, I’m looking forward to it,” he said. “My wife finally got online with it. It’s going to be a very challenging time, the most challenging time since the Depression. It’s going to be tough.”

Wagner agreed on the rugged economic times ahead and the need to do something about it.

“I think we can do better in how we direct the city,” said Wagner. “It’s nothing personal. We’ve got to start this economic engine in this town. We’ve got to start being proactive instead of reactive.”

McCrary was elected to the council in 2000, but resigned his post after about a year. He could not be reached for comment Wednesday morning.

Gere owns Hickory Creek Barbecue in downtown Baldwin City in addition to working for the city of Olathe. His reason for running was simple.

“I was interested in being involved,” said Gere.

Broers has lived in Baldwin City for four years and wants to serve.

“I just want to make a difference,” said Broers, who is a self-employed electrician. “I want to bring business to Baldwin and stay here. It’s about economics. We need to increase the tax base.”

Two other Baldwin City residents have picked up packets to file, but hadn’t as of Wednesday morning, Shew said.

Candidates have until noon Tuesday to file for the April election. That’s also the deadline to decide not to run for those who have already filed but changed their mind.

“A person can do that up to noon on the deadline,” said Shew.

Comments

p_zinzer 5 years, 2 months ago

Walbridge running again? Oh for god's sake. He's done nothing -- let me repeat that, NOTHING -- for this town. I think he's perfected sleeping with his eyes open through City Council meetings. Those that he bothers attending. What a crock of hooey.

School board members need to move on as well.

ghostofphyllis 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh now p_zinzer Gary got us a golf course.....or was that more about Junior pulling his strings to get a golf course? Either way those two managed to hoodwink the council and the city into buying a glorified field so the "old boys" place to play was safe. Other than that....your right he hasnt done squat... Hate to say it but at least Hayes got things done around here

p_zinzer 5 years, 2 months ago

too true, ghostofphyllis. That's a mighty fine, productive piece of property out there. Why, it practically pays for itself, it does.

I'll agree about Ken Hayes. Have to say I didn't much care for his personality or some of his approaches to things, but he certainly believed in addressing issues as they arose and he believed in measuring progress on issues that he was addressing.

This sad excuse for a "leader" that we have as Mayor now has never communicated a plan about how to address anything. He shows up to Council meetings (on those rare occasions where he thinks it necessary) totally unaware of the agenda for the meeting, and attempts to get through to voting on issues just as fast as possible. No discussions, no opinions. That's leadership.

123456 5 years, 2 months ago

Why don't we lease the golf course to the government and they can bring the prisoners from Gitmo over here, I'm shure our fine police dept. can keep an eye on them.

ibelieveinmapleleaf 5 years, 2 months ago

I imagine our own Baldwin City version of Heinrich Himmler, who masquerades by day as our Director of Codes Enforcement, would be able to keep a watchful eye on them.

123456 5 years, 2 months ago

There can't be much need for a codes enforcer in this economy, so why don't they eliminate her and hire someone more qualified part time or find another town about our size to share a codes enforcer with them, that would save money and grief.

ghostofphyllis 5 years, 2 months ago

we should make the codes enforcement position pay the same amount we make on the golf course each year...what is that a dollar?...thats about all she is worth unless you enjoy hemorroids

Highstreet 5 years, 2 months ago

What a bunch of empty-minded whiners. If you think it's that bad, Run_For_Mayor/Council. See what fun it is. Walbridge has sat through dozens and dozens of boring meetings while you were home watching some brainless TV show. He has put himself out there. He has sacrificed his time and no small amount of it. Do the same or STFU. This town, like any other, is lucky to have people like this.

kermit 5 years, 2 months ago

two small points of clarification before I join this conversation. 1. who is phyllis? 2. what does STFU stand for? I am not up to speed on internet anacroynms but I'm getting there

ghostofphyllis 5 years, 2 months ago

Kermit

To clear up your points STFU is Shut the F--- Up. Which makes highstreet both profane and somewhat unintelligent to not be able to convey a point without swearing.

And highstreet the only empty minded person to post here so far is the one that can not convey his views in a public forum without four letter words.

ibelieveinmapleleaf 5 years, 2 months ago

If Baldwin City's "luck" is to get someone like Walbridge as Mayor then our town is doomed.

I think I'd prefer to have no luck at all.

Highstreet 5 years, 2 months ago

"Second I am the ghost of phyllis, the woman that ranted against all things in Baldwin for decades. I have picked up the torch of ranting." That's about the size of it and tells everyone all they need to know about you. 'phylllis' rants were a waste of time and few, if any, gave them any creedance.

"I think I'd prefer to have no luck at all." What a loser attitude. I'll stay away from you in strip poker and you stay away from me at the race track. I hit a nice exacta down at the opening weekend of racing at Hot Springs last weekend. Baldwin City needs positive, forward-looking leaders willing to put in the time and effort to keep this little town moving forward without mindless, endless growth and increased taxes.

ghostofphyllis 5 years, 2 months ago

Obviously you didnt know Phyllis she was a hoot. Your an angry little fellow arent you? You dont like ranting? You dont wanna play strip poker with maple leaf. Sounds like you possibly have a gambling problem. Wow you do have some issues. BTW which candidate are you saying is positive, and forward thinking? Oh last comment when you mention walbridge setting thru boring meetings, Do you realize what an impressive record of absenteeism he has managed to rack up in four years?