Palmyra Township fire fighters battle grass blaze
Palmyra Township firefighters have responded about 2 p.m. Monday to a grass fire east of Baldwin City.
Sgt. Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman, said native tallgrass seemed be burning more aggressively than a shorter grass would.
But Lewis said no structure appeared to be in danger from the fire, which is in the 1900 block of North 250 Road.
An officer told dispatchers on radio traffic that oil equipment was about 100 yards from the fire. It appeared safe, unless the wind direction changed.
Lewis said firefighters were getting the blaze under control. By 3 p.m., the fire was out and fire fighters were leaving.
“The officer said he didn’t think anything was in danger,” Lewis said.
More like this story
- Baldwin High School boys and girls track team win season-opening meets
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- Baldwin High School track teams claim Eudora titles
- Baldwin High School track teams open season today
- Baldwin boys, girls race away with league track titles