Sandra Johnson and Richard Wellman, historians at the Baldwin City Public Library, have been doing a series called “Questions and Answers” for the past year. This is their latest version. They can be contacted at the library for additional information.
Q. Four grocery stores in Baldwin City made a joint announcement in 1888 to discontinue a past practice. What was it?
A. “We the undersigned grocery men of Baldwin, state of Kansas, in view of the great expense attached to the Free Delivery of goods in the city, hereby covenant and agree that no more goods be delivered free of charge on and after Feb. 1, 1888. We also agree with our customers that all goods desired shall be delivered by express man for not more than 5 cents per trip. 1. L. C. Harton, 2. Lake and Sturdivan, 3. Huff and Palsley 4. Sullivan and Son.
Q. Peoples State Bank moved into its newly constructed quarters in March of 1911. What is that building’s function today?
A. Baldwin’s City Hall. According to the newspaper account in 1911, “the building was constructed of Cottonwood Falls stone and ornamental brick. It is finished in hardwood and has a tile floor. It will be one of the handsomest equipped banks in the state.”
Q. The Lawrence Journal and The Lawrence World newspapers consolidated in February 1911. What was the reason for the merger?
A. Per the Baldwin Ledger of Feb. 29, 1911, “The fire this week destroyed the Lawrence Journal, resulting in the consolidation.”
Q. Which community leader was chairman of the committee that established the Baldwin City Public Library?
A. Baker Professor Willard H. Garrett in 1915. Other members of the committee were H.A. Church, financial agent of Baker; Miss Harriet Osborne, librarian of Baker; Mrs. J. A. Allderdice, representing the women’s clubs of Baldwin.
Q. The county seat for Douglas County was moved to Lawrence in January 1858. Where was it previously?
A. Lecompton was the previous county seat location.