BHS varsity teams rally, fall to Wildcats
BURLINGTON — Baldwin High’s girls’ basketball team never led here Friday night as it fell to 2-2 on the seaon. BHS lost 37-42 to the host Wildcats as it finished third in the annual Bulldog/Wildcat Classic.
The Bulldogs missed a layup to take the lead late in the game. They also missed a pair of three-pointers to tie the game during the final minute.
Juniors Allison Howard and Ramie Burkhart led the Bulldogs with nine points each. Baldwin will host De Soto on Tuesday.
- Scoring summary
- Baldwin — 11 8 9 9 - 37
- Burlington — 13 10 11 8 – 42
- Baldwin — Connor Twombly, 2; Allison Howard, 9; Ramie Burkhart, 9; Myranda Behrens, 7; Katie Brecheisen, 3; Kailyn Smith, 3; Taylor Brown, 2; Monica Howard, 2.
- Burlington — Katlyn O’Connor, 15; Sarah Pearson, 2; Korinn Card, 11; Autumn Kirchner, 2; Heather Eddings, 10; Madison Stewart, 2.
BURLINGTON — Baldwin High’s boys’ basketball erased a 17-point second quarter deficit to take the lead late in Friday’s game, but fell short in the final minutes.
The Wildcats beat Baldwin 49-45 as BHS dropped to 2-2 on the season. Like the girls’ squad, Baldwin finished third in the annual Bulldog/Wildcat Classic.
Burlington jumped on the Bulldogs early Friday as it led 10-2 and eventually 24-7. The Bulldogs chipped away and cut it to a one-point lead in the third quarter and eventually took the lead with 4:19 remaining in the game.
Then a three-point play by Burlington and a three-pointer by the Wildcats’ center Blake Thomsen essentially sealed the game.
Baldwin will host De Soto on Tuesday.
- Scoring Summary
- Baldwin — 7 13 10 15 – 45
- Burlington — 22 7 4 16 – 49
- Baldwin — Carson Barnes, 2; Nate Growcock, 5; Ryan Rogers, 2; Camdon Schwartz, 2; Caleb Gaylord, 2; Zach Wright, 13; Justin Vander Tuig, 19.
- Burlington — Zak Martin, 12; Taylor Sutherland, 2; Patrick Mahoney, 4; Dustin Bluma, 5; Brooks Bryce, 9; Mackenzie Redding, 5; Britton Curtis, 1; Blake Thomsen, 11.
More like this story
- Reno County spending money to keep jail smelling good
- Douglas County to host town hall meeting on jail, mental health facility on Monday
- Douglas County to have townhall meeting on jail expansion
- Douglas County departments show off new public works facility
- Douglas County Sheriff's Office receives $200,000 grant to help mentally ill