BHS soccer ties Chieftains 1-1 to open 2009 season
For 68 minutes on Friday night, the Tonganoxie High boys soccer team led visiting Baldwin at Chieftain Park.
But a Bulldogs goal with 60 seconds remaining changed that and the two squads settled for a 1-1 tie in their season opener.
Junior Baldwin defender Chris Schrapel scored the tying goal from the left side, roughly 20 yards out, to beat THS goalkeeper Mitch DeHoff by mere inches.
Neither team was able to score in the final minute of regulation or the following pair of 10-minute overtime periods.
Tonganoxie senior Kenny Schultz put the Chieftains ahead early in the 11th minute with a pretty goal on a cross from Bret Koch.
Baldwin will host Topeka-Hayden at 4 p.m. Tuesday for its second game of the season.
More like this story
- Valuation notices sent out to Douglas County property owners
- Court documents quantify impact of gay marriage in Kansas
- Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging looks to partner with local business for new senior nutrition program
- Douglas County pilot rural recycling program proving popular
- Quapaw tribe seeks dismissal of lawsuit over casino plans