Letter to the editor
To the editor:
I read, with great interest, the article dated July 16 regarding the meeting with Baldwin City Council, Baldwin School Board, Mayor, Douglas County Commission and Kansas Department of Transportation to discuss concerns over the new 60 mph speed limit on U.S. Highway 56. Many residents, including myself, have voiced what we believe to be legitimate complaints about the new speed limit, particularly by the elementary school and from First Street to High Street.
I totally agree that the mindset of some drivers is “You better get out of my way.” Every time I’m driving U.S. 56 people pass me, and I’m going 63 or 64 mph, which leads me to believe they are driving — and passing — in excess of 70 mph.
I urge those who have the decision-making power to reconsider lowering the speed limit to 45 mph leaving Baldwin City in both directions on U.S. 56. Thank you for taking another look.
More like this story
- Judge won't hear retrial of man who punched his attorney
- GOP plan to overhaul Kansas school aid could move quickly
- Baldwin girls finish strong, 'pumped' for post-season
- Baldwin City Council approves first reading of proposed sewer rate increases
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown