Q. In 1913 Baldwin enacted a speed limit in town to apply to “autos and motorcycles.” What was the new speed limit?
A. The speed limit was set at 12 miles per hour. It was repealed in 1923. They were also required to have at least one front headlamp and one red light in the rear. The lamps must operate in the night from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise.
Q. The Hudson/Essex dealer, Maywood Smith, advertised the “Greater Hudson” model automobile in the Ledger of February 1929. What was the price?
A. The standard coach listed at $1,095 and the “convertible coupe” at $1,450. There were several models priced between these two.
Q. How many years was there a G.A.R. Post of Civil War veterans in Baldwin City?
A. The charter was granted March 16, 1883, and the Post was dissolved in January of 1929, which would be just short of 46 years. The last five living members were W. J. Russell, N. F. Payne, S. Brunner, S. S. Schumaker and C. W. Bailey. Bailey was the only one of the five who was a charter member.
Q. Who was the Baldwin City resident who, in 1929, researched and arranged for governmental tombstones to be erected at the graves of about 100 military veterans resting in unmarked graves in Baldwin City cemeteries?
A. It was W. J. Russell per an article in the May 10, 1929, issue of The Baldwin Ledger.
Q. What was the salary range paid to teachers in the schools of Douglas County (excluding Lawrence) for the school year 1904-5?
A. The lowest was $30 per month for teachers at Young and Welcome Districts up to $80 per month paid to F. D. Tracy at Baldwin City School.
More like this story
- Four possible parking lot sites near BJHS/BHS campus reviewed
- Baldwin City council hears updates on quality-of-life projects
- Sheriff's office investigating allegations of missing money from Wakarusa Township fireman's fund
- Lawrence-Douglas County health department to host measles vaccination clinics
- Baldwin City Council candidates state views, define themselves at forum