Library lesson answers historical questions
Sandra Johnson and Richard Wellman, historians at the Baldwin City Public Library, have been doing a series called “Questions and Answers” for the past year. This is their latest version. They can be contacted at the library for additional information.
Q. What organization started the effort to erect a monument marking the location of the Battle of Black Jack?
A. The Palmyra Township “Old Settlers” reunion of October 1911 started the discussion. A committee was created with Charles E. Stephens, W. T. Jones and Samuel Gardner to raise funds for the purpose.
Q. In 1899 Baker University raised funds for installation of an electrical generating system to provide electricity for the campus. How much was raised to meet the funding need?
A. The estimated cost was $580 and of that, $460 was raised by Baker Trustee contributions and with further solicitation at graduation exercises, for a total raised of $640.
Q. How early did Baldwin City street names come into existence?
A. The Plat Book 2 filed Oct. 15, 1863, specified the names of the north-south streets of First through 12th and east-west streets of Ames through Orange.
Q. The Vinland Library Association was noted for starting what project in 1899?
A. According to The Ledger of Dec. 15, 1899, the library owned 1,250 books and the new library building was being erected.
Q. Mortgage rates were making the news in January 1981. How high was the interest rate at that time?
A. The average rate was 14.95 percent plus 1.8 percent origination fee, according to the Baldwin City Review of Jan. 23, 1981.