Archive for Thursday, April 23, 2009

BESIC principal job draws 61 applicants

April 23, 2009

By Monday night, one of the 61 applicants for Tom Mundinger’s job might be hired on as his replacement.

Mundinger will be retiring from his post as the Baldwin Elementary School Intermediate Center principal. A committee was formed to find his successor and that committee might be selecting the next BESIC principal by the end of the week.

“We hope to meet sometime this week and rate our candidates,” Supt. Paul Dorathy said. “Then we hope to come up with a recommendation to take to the school board for the April 27 meeting.”

For the past two weeks, the committee has spent afternoons and early evenings interviewing candidates for the position. The field of 61 applicants was narrowed to eight for interviews.

During April 7-9 and April 13-17, the committee saw one candidate each day for an interview. While Dorathy didn’t say if anyone in the Baldwin School District applied for the job, he did say the majority of applicants were living in Kansas.

“It’s mostly been in-state candidates, but we have had some out-of-state candidates,” Dorathy said. “We had experienced and inexperienced candidates apply for the position.”

While 61 applicants might seem high to most people, Dorathy and BESIC secretary Kim Heckathorne weren’t surprised by the number.

“I wasn’t shocked at all,” Heckathorne said. “I just think this is a community that people are interested in moving to and when there is a job opening like this one, it attracts many people.”

Dorathy agreed about the number of applicants.

“I had a feeling this position would be very popular,” he said. “The school is doing very well. It’s very organized and it’s very well run. It has a good staff. I figured there would be quite a few that would be interested and apply for the position.”

The Baldwin School Board will hold a meeting at 7 p.m. Monday night at the District Office. The only items will be executive session for personnel, negotiations and preliminary land acquisition.

Comments

oldschool 5 years, 8 months ago

So much for consolidating some of the administrative positions to absorb some of the budget shortage. Oh well, we'll just cut teachers, programs, busing, lunches, ... instead.

You know better oldschool. The District is more important than the community it serves.

Bloggerboo 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey, look everybody! Torch is changing his tune...oh wait. No he's not. He is still a petulant, insipid, crybaby who didn't get his way in the bond election.

But at least he's not a name-caller.

Funny how liberals - er - other 'residents' can come un-glued when they run into people who don't agree with them.

Bloggerboo I'm glad you think that taking $23 million from other people is 'stimulating the economy' even though they could have spent it themselves and done the same thing.

I won't call you names. I'll just repeat that I supported several items on the bond issue...not all of them however. You apparently feel like this was an all-or-nothing deal.

The good news is I still have over 20 years to prove I'm right. All you have is someone else's money.

See you in 2029.

Bloggerboo 5 years, 8 months ago

Um, last I checked, the bond issue was all or nothing. We didn't get to choose which of the ideas we supported. That is not how any bond issue I've ever heard of works.

Seriously, though Torch, what aspects of USD 348 do you like or agree that they are handling properly? I would be much more inclined to listen to some of your arguments if you weren't A L W A Y S negative. Surely, even you realize that not everything is as good or as bad as it seems.

And, for the record, I wasn't calling you names, I was merely describing your behavior.

For the record, Bloggerboo, if you parse this sentence:

He is still a petulant, insipid, crybaby...

You will find that "petulant" and "insipid" are adjectives used to modify (describe, for the language layman) the noun "crybaby." "Crybaby" is a complement of the subject noun, "he." "He" directly names "Torch," in reference to the previous sentence:

Torch is changing his tune.

I.E. - You did, directly, call Torch names. I would be much more inclined to listen to some of your arguments if you weren't A L W A Y S defensive.

oldschool 5 years, 8 months ago

Warning - bloggy is hi-jacking the "post-a-comment" threads again. Post at your own risk.

Hopefully, if one of the other principals in the district applies for and gets hired for this, the possibility of consolidation of duties still exists.