Archive for Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wagner wins mayor’s race; Plumberg, Farmer gain council seats

April 7, 2009, 7:52 p.m.

Updated: April 8, 2009, 6:57 a.m.

With all of the vote counted, Ken Wagner won the race for Baldwin City mayor with 422 votes, followed by George McCrary with 231 and incumbent Gary Walbridge with 124. The city council race finals are: Bonnie Plumberg, 359; Tom Farmer, 265; Chris Nichols, 258; Russ Gill, 242; and Ric Gere, 206.

"Well, I'm happy, obviously," said Wagner. "I knew it was going to be a close election, but I think it's a very decisive win. I think that a lot of the electorate wanted to see change."

Wagner, who has served on the city council for six years, garnered 54.3 percent of the vote, to McCrary's 29.7 and Walbridge's 16. Plumberg had 27 percent of the council votes, Farmer 19.9, Nichols 19.4, Gill 18.2 and Gere 15.5.

The numbers for incumbent Baldwin School Board members are Ande Parks, 677, Ruth Barkley, 676, and Bill Busby, 687. The trio ran unopposed, but write-in votes were cast.

The Signal will have more on these races as it becomes available.

Comments

n0zpe 5 years, 8 months ago

well GREAT!!

yes, that is a sarcastic great.

Let see how many rules Wagner can "bend" as mayor so that local businesses can get around procedures now.

Spiderpig 5 years, 8 months ago

It must be official. There is a big party at Wagner's house now.

The election will not be official until Friday's canvassing at the court house.

Wagner can go ahead and party all he wants. But if I were Farmer or Nichols, I'd wait until Saturday. If you read the Ljworld at all, you would see that there were provisional ballots cast in Baldwin that could turn this city council race around for Nichols.

cranky 5 years, 8 months ago

GG,

Where are you seeing that info?