Callahan headed to another honorary tournament
Baldwin High School senior Alan Callahan will complete his high school competitive career by taking part in the NHSCA Senior Nationals Wrestling Tournament in Virginia Beach this weekend.
Callahan will compete at 112 pounds and will pursue a dream to be an All-American at this elite tournament.
Team Kansas has had 75 All-Americans at this tournament in the last 19 years. Last year’s tournament had over 800 elite wrestlers from 46 states vying for these top honors.
In last year’s NCAA Division I Championships, nine of the 10 Champions, 17 of the 20 finalists and 80 percent of the All-Americans had competed in the NHSCA Wrestling Championships when they were seniors.
Callahan is the third Bulldog to compete in this tournament. Luke Lang (2000) went 3-2 at 189 lbs. and Kevin Callahan (2008) went 3-2 at 130 lbs.
Callahan owns two Kansas state records (Career Wins and Career Team Points) and three school records (Most Takedowns, Most Team Points, and Career Wins).
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Newell Rubbermaid to expand Winfield, add 320 jobs
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Congregate meals to end after next month at Baldwin City Senior Center
- Kansas City Connection: 9 events to kick off a busy September