Baldwin City man denies taking indecent liberties with minor
A 42-year-old Baldwin City man who faces two charges of aggravated indecent liberties maintained his innocence during an arraignment hearing in Douglas County District Court Wednesday afternoon, court records indicate.
Prosecutors allege the man was involved in lewd fondling or touching of a 13-year-old girl on Aug. 23.
The man was observed by his adult friend touching the teenage girl, who is now 14, said Baldwin Police Chief Michael McKenna.
The suspect ran from the house when he was caught in the act, McKenna said, but was arrested and booked into jail two days later. The Signal generally does not name suspects in sex crimes unless they are convicted.
The suspect was also allegedly involved in lewd fondling or touching of the same girl between July and August 2007, when she was 13, prosecutors said.
The man, who pleaded not guilty to the felony charges, remains in the Douglas County Jail on $250,000 bond.
He is scheduled to be back in court at 2 p.m. Oct. 9, in front of Judge Paula Martin.
More like this story
- 25 years on, disabilities act has changed lives of millions
- No charges after federal probe into Kansas election loans
- Audit finds UMKC business school ran up deficit to boost ranking
- Long VA waits less of a problem in Kansas than elsewhere
- Analysis: Kansas GOP lawmakers set up debate on higher taxes