Archive for Thursday, September 25, 2008

Police arrest man after high-speed chase

September 25, 2008, 8:39 a.m.

Updated: September 25, 2008, 2:47 p.m.

A high-speed chase that started on U.S. Highway 59 Wednesday at 9:15 p.m. ended in south Baldwin City with a foot chase and arrest at 9:39 p.m.

During those 24 minutes, the 41-year-old suspect Jon Neely racked up nine charges, mostly felonies, but he wasn't finished. After being taken to Douglas County Jail, he complained of a medical condition, was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital and escaped to bring even more charges before being captured again.

"He's a bad boy," said Baldwin City Police Sgt. Gregg Schiffelbein, adding that there isn't an indication of where Neely is from, other than his car is registered in California.

Among the charges from Baldwin City against him are aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, felony fleeing and eluding, leaving the scene of a hit and run accident, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol and possession of cocaine and drug paraphernalia.

Schiffelbein said a Douglas County Sheriff's deputy began pursuit on U.S. 59 about 3 miles north of U.S. Highway 56, but couldn't get the vehicle stopped and said it was headed for the Baldwin Junction.

"Another deputy called and said the vehicle was coming into Baldwin City at a high rate of speed," he said, adding that speeds were between 70 and 80 mph. "We set up at 11th and Ames and Eighth and Ames. He clipped a vehicle near Ninth and Ames at a high rate of speed.

"We started pursuit but discontinued because there were a lot of people out," said Schiffelbein. "He continued through town and was westbound on High Street. He ran a stop sign at Eighth and High and witnesses said he was traveling south."

Police found the vehicle abandoned at Eighth and Orange streets. Witnesses told police they saw a while male running from the vehicle.

"We located the suspect hiding in a field near the city (electrical) plant," he said. "A foot pursuit started and a taser was deployed. He broke away from the taser and foot pursuit continued."

Schiffelbein caught up with the man soon afterward, but not before he brought the aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer by twice picking up rocks and throwing them.


bakergrad 9 years, 8 months ago

Baldwin City Police Sgt. Schiffelbein spells his first name with two gs - Gregg.


Momofone 9 years, 7 months ago


Hey a$$hat...not funny. The tool actually is a father; just not yours.


Commenting has been disabled for this item.