Archive for Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Time running out to claim stimulus checks

November 12, 2008, 10:59 a.m.

Updated: November 13, 2008, 10:36 a.m.

Related document

The Internal Revenue Service has a long list of people from Douglas County it has been unable to deliver stimulus checks to.

About 80 names are on the list. It can be viewed on the Signal Web site, A PDF of the list is to the left of this story.

Anyone who has moved and is due a stimulus check should update his or her address with the IRS by Nov. 28, a spokesman said. That’s because the law requires that the stimulus checks be sent out by Dec. 31.

There are several options available to ensure that the IRS has your correct address. You can submit a change of address Form 8822. It can be downloaded from the IRS Web site at It also can be requested by calling 1-800-829-3676.

On the IRS Web site there are two self-service tools in these links:

• “Where’s My Stimulus Payment?” The IRS says this is the quickest and easiest way for a taxpayer to check the status of a stimulus check and receive instructions on how to update an address.

• “Where’s My Refund?” It helps taxpayers find out if they have a regular refund.

You can also call the IRS refund hot line, (800) 829-1954; or the economic stimulus payment hot line, (866) 234-2942. Both are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.


greyghost 12 years, 10 months ago

Hey, I was talking with torch and bloggerboo earlier today and they want to send their stimulus checks back to the IRS. They are so against "spreading the wealth" that they're actually considering just signing their checks over to the CEOs of Exxon and Walmart. But just in case, can they call the 1-800 number listed above to find out the IRS' address?



Commenting has been disabled for this item.