Archive for Thursday, November 6, 2008

These times they are a changin’

November 6, 2008

When I awoke early Tuesday morning, way too early, I noticed something right away. It was the wind blowing hard. I thought at the time that it was the wind of change.

Turns out, it was.

America overwhelmingly made an historic change Tuesday by selecting the first-ever African American as its President. Although all the polls and other campaign devices showed Barack Obama in the lead, I wasn’t going to believe it until I saw it.

I saw it.

Wrapped up in all-day coverage of local races, I hadn’t time to check on the national picture, but I was curious. My politically astute son Brett called around 8:30 p.m. When I saw his name on the cell phone, I knew. Sure enough, Obama had just won Ohio and it was all but over. He called again awhile later from the watch party he was at in Boston to tell me it was a done deal.

He also reminded me of a comment I made to him more than a year ago when the primaries were still very heated. I told him on the way to dropping him off at KCI that I didn’t think America was ready for a woman or black as president. I wasn’t alone, but luckily the country got over that notion.

Part of me is still amazed. Another part is proud.

Of course, either candidate had a very good shot at that first-ever title because of the performance of President Bush over the last eight years. That was heightened even more with the recent economic collapse that has crippled our nation,

The economy sounded again and again as people left the polling places across the country, including right here in Baldwin City. We’re in a mess and it’s going to take a Herculean effort to fix it. Obama can’t do that alone and he knows it. That’s why he called all of America together in his acceptance speech Tuesday night. It was a plea to everyone, including those who voted against him.

Smart move.

It’s one of the things that separated Obama from Sen. John McCain — smart moves. Obama ran a smart campaign with few mistakes. McCain did not, especially with his choice of a vice presidential candidate, Sarah Palin. Granted, it was a bold move, one designed to shake up the race. McCain needed that.

It didn’t work.

Palin certainly captured the hearts of America and is definitely the best-looking candidate to ever take center stage in a Presidential race. Unfortunately for McCain, that’s the best that can be said for his selection.

The whole “maverick thing” failed. So did Joe the Plumber, thankfully.

All of these factors played into Obama’s decisive victory. It didn’t hurt that he’s also considered to be one of the most brilliant men to graduate from Harvard Law School. That’s a mouthful.

Obama proved his brilliance by running a campaign that beat all odds. Now we can only hope that continues into the White House. I’m confident it will.

It’s what we need — the winds of change.

Comments

ralpho 5 years, 8 months ago

Obama cannot save America. America is Evil. Its people have lost their way. Americans are unable to distinguish good from evil, so they have elected evil people to rule them and allowed nincompoops and liars to edit most of their newspapers. I pray with all of my immortal soul to God through the the Lord, Jesus Christ, for the speedy death of America and its vile citizens. Dead at last! Thank God almighty! Dead at last!

Well Jeff, I'm not surprised you drank the Kool Aid.

Just like a lot of other Americans. The 'expect it' generation is alive and well - even here in Baldwin City. Let's just take everything from those who are working and give it to those who aren't.

Obama ran a good campaign but he didn't 'beat all odds'. The fact is if he had selected Clinton as a running mate it would have been over 3 months ago. The fact that against the withering hail of biased (including your rag) news coverage it's a miracle McCain did as well as he did. The media elected Obama moreso than Obama's 'campaign'.

Well clap your hands and get excited then. We're all about to see what social medicine is all about. I can tell you because I experienced it while in the military - long lines, poor facilities, under-skilled doctors, and reems of paperwork. Want an appointment with a specialist? See you in 8 weeks.

So those of us with a job will want to continue to get private health care since the socialist healthcare will not be adequate. Guess what? To stay in business private health care will have to raise its costs and thus the cost of quality care will go through the roof. On top of that you'll get to pay for the socialist healthcare as well! SUPER!

That's change we can all use.

“The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself"

Torch, You are a sad, pitiful, scared man, aren't you? I would think that you're of the persuasion that watches FOX news and gets off on O'Reilly's fear mongering. However, your statement --"The media elected Obama moreso than Obama's 'campaign'."-- tells me different. Obama's campaign was funded by the people; not by special interest, not by cronies, not by big money. This is why I voted for Obama--he is not tainted. I don't think the media elected our President. The vast majority of America elected him. They funded him with $5 donations, they registered and the marked their ballots for him.
You are so against Socialism, I'm sure that you are already planning on sending back your social security check when ever you become eligible. Don't you dare spend that money. IT CAME FROM MY PAYCHECK!!!!! I hope you never need an ambulance or assistance with the police or, heaven forbid your house catches on fire, you will need a fire fighter. They are all funded by tax money. They are all SOCIAL services. THAT'S MY MONEY TOO!!!!!!
Quit worrying about what someone is going to take from you and try giving back to the community and the country that gave you freedom and security. Maybe you could volunteer to become a Big Brother for youth that are born into this world already at a disadvantage. Stop complaining about how bad you have it and do something about it! Or, to be more blunt, stop being a B*tch!

Sad, sad, sad.

"I was largely against the Bond issue in Baldwin but after seeing the conclusion of the National election on Tuesday I think it was a good thing afterall. Since most of the kids in Baldwin won't be able to afford a college eduction in a few years they may as well have some luxury before the go to work digging ditches."--Torch

SOUR GRAPES anyone?

cranky 5 years, 8 months ago

Poor Ralpho...off his meds again.

123456 5 years, 8 months ago

This pretty well explains why Obama won. His supporters are so stupid they would elect a cat if it led them to believe they were going to get something for free. Remember when they gave away free food to dedicate the new down town, when the food was gone the crowd was gone.

cranky 5 years, 8 months ago

Not looking for something free...looking forward to something BETTER. To all you sore-losing haters out there...quit your bitching and do something to help move our country forward. Spewing your anger isn't gonna change it for you! It's over! Did you not see the how the country voted? Did you not see how most of the world celebrated this victory? It's sad that your hatred is blinding you from looking towards the future. Go ahead and let the anger eat you up...nobody really gives a damn.

123456 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey Cranky, quit barking I never moved your food dish.. What are you doing to move the country forward, a list of six will do.

cranky 5 years, 8 months ago

123456,

Do you have an unhealthy obsession with domestic animals? You've referenced dogs and cats in your last two posts. Neither of them made any sense.

I don't care to share my personal goals of making the world a better place with a hater such as yourself. I'll save those for myself and the people that matter in my life. If I thought it would make any difference in the way you see the world I would consider it. But I have a very strong feeling THAT'S not gonna happen.

So we can just agree to disagree, I guess. You can be angry and I'll continue to be happy and hopeful.

Now, don't you have a hamster cage to clean?

123456 5 years, 8 months ago

Cranky, feel better now, I bet you don't look any better.

cranky 5 years, 8 months ago

I look stunning...thank you very much. : )

Highstreet 5 years, 8 months ago

I despise losers who whine. This election was absolute repudiation of the past eight years of the this corrupt presidential administration and the Republican party that supported it. Read'em & weep (if you must). It's over. O'Dude is in charge and I'm glad of it. Carry on.

Bloggerboo 5 years, 8 months ago

It is funny to me how the Dems and Libs can come here and call everyone who didn't vote for Obama a sore loser, or a whiner, or a hater. And how we all need to get together now and back our new president.

Every single one of those same people were whining, bitching, and moaning when Bush was elected. They didn't get behind him. They didn't put country first. But they sure as hell expect everyone else to now.

Well, I will get behind the country, but I won't support socializing American any more than it already is. Yes, Greyghost, some things are state run, but not everything. See the difference?

If Obama wants to truly lead from the center rather than the far left, then I will support him. Even though when Bush tried to do the same, they ate him up. Remember No Child Left Behind? That was a Democrat proposition. And Bush supported it. When it went south on us, all they did was blame him. Talk about your sore losers...and cowards.

"Yes, Greyghost, some things are state run, but not everything. See the difference?" Some, not all. Okay, I think I got it. Some socialism is okay, but not all. Which social programs are okay? Oh, the ones that are already in place? Alright, that's convenient. While your at it can you tell us which parts of the Bible we are to take literally and which are to be taken metaphorically? Are you serious? You think Obama is going to turn our democracy into a socialist regime? I don't know, man, I bet Obama thinks our democracy worked pretty well with regards to the elections. But just in case, hide your guns, I bet he's gonna come after them first! FEAR=IGNORANCE

Hmmmm. . . . . . .Where did torch and bloggerboo go?

Not sure anyone will read this now...but I find it pretty amusing that the 'change' Jeff was so excited about = the reappointment of the Clinton administration.

Remember when Uncle Barrack was blasting Hillary for her lack of international experience? Well...she's your new Secretary of State. LOL! Several key positions are being filled by the same-old folks in DC, many of them typical Clinton re-treads.

So much for your 'change'.

Here's a quote from a story on Yahoo.com. Read it and weep: "Liberals are growing increasingly nervous – and some just flat-out angry – that President-elect Barack Obama seems to be stiffing them on Cabinet jobs and policy choices.

Obama has reversed pledges to immediately repeal tax cuts for the wealthy and take on Big Oil. He’s hedged his call for a quick drawdown in Iraq. And he’s stocking his White House with anything but stalwarts of the left.

Now some are shedding a reluctance to puncture the liberal euphoria at being rid of President George W. Bush to say, in effect, that the new boss looks like the old boss."

...and your 'change' is still yet to be found Mr. Myrick.

Looks like we got change again Jeff. I'm hoping you support it this time as well...because the change you wrote about here stinks.