Archive for Tuesday, July 22, 2008

City council approves downtown liquor sales

July 22, 2008

Restaurants in downtown will now be able to serve a complete line of alcohol after the Baldwin City Council approved rezoning the area on a 3-1 vote.

The approval was an ordinance amending the central business zoning classification to include "drinking establishments qualifying as restaurants" as a permitted use. The ordinance states that there must be 50 percent of revenue through food sales. Bars are not permitted.

"I think it was noted that this is a bit of a watershed moment allowing alcohol sales in downtown," said Council Member Tony Brown. "I think that's a reasonable thing to consider, crossing a line that hasn't been crossed before."

When Baker University was founded 150 years, it sold land to finance building the school. The deeds to that property contained a stipulation that if alcohol was manufactured or sold from the property, the university would regain ownership of the land.

However, Baker has allowed that stipulation to be removed for one downtown business and Baker President Pat Long said it would be considered on a case-by-case basis for other locations.

"We're not advocating bars," said Council Member Ken Wagner. "If we didn't have the 50 percent food regulation, I wouldn't favor this."

Comments

Wildcat94 6 years, 4 months ago

Wonder what made Tony flip flop?

"Brown was the lone vote against the measure. He had voted for it during the first reading of the ordinance two weeks ago, as did Council Member Ted Brecheisen, Jr. Brecheisen did not vote Monday. He owns the building that has gained the release from Baker."

Wonder what made Ted flip-flop? Conflict of interest, I think. But, he had already voted for it once, as did Tony Brown. So, what is going on here? I think we need to start this whole process over again. Let's let our elected officials get their heads on straight and scheme a little better about who will vote and who will abstain and THEN go get drunk at Hickory Creek.

I still don't know how an elected official can pay off a private university, then vote in favor of overturning an ordinance that he will benefit from personally. I might just have to contact Charles Branson or Stephen Six. Or we could just have full disclosure from the City Council and slate this notion for referendum. Let the People decide, since it is apparent that this Council is self-serving on this issue, to say the least.

To the Editor: Can you find out why Tony Brown first voted in favor of, then voted nay on this matter? Seems like it would be good journalism to ask those ridiculous questions, right? What happened to change his mind? Do the People of Baldwin deserve to know?

Diode 6 years, 3 months ago

According to another article (in the Signal) on this subject:

"Brown said Tuesday that he favored the measure but was voicing his displeasure about how Brecheisen and the business owner had voiced opposition to a Baker request to close Dearborn Street between Sixth and Eighth streets. "I wanted to make a point to them that Baker wasn't pleased with them speaking out against closing the road," said Brown. "It was purely political.""

Frankly, I was pretty disappointed in this statement. I didn't realize that Tony wore his Baker hat when he attended city council meetings. I thought he was supposed to be representing the citizens of Baldwin on the council, but he is apparently there to represent Baker. Is this why he's running for the State Representative seat? Baker wants more of a voice in the state legislature?

Diode

Yeah, I saw that the day after my post. This quid-pro-quo attitude is nothing new in politics, but it still ceases to amaze me.
It was purely political? No, it was purely asinine! Way to take a stand against something so abhorrent!

Disclaimer~

Comments attributed to "greyghost" are the opinions of an identity-challenged nobody who pathetically stole the posting name from the original "Greyghost" when the forum switched formats, and in no way reflect the thoughts of the original Greyghost, now going by "TheOnlyGreyghost."

Most readers, rightfully, will not give a crap, as this is very unimportant! This disclaimer is being posted merely to prevent any confusion among former Speak Out community members who might not have been aware that the name had been stolen.

FYI, some other long-time posters' identities were also scooped (maybe by the same sad troll), so if you see uncharacteristic comments from other well-established Speak Out names, don't assume that your old friend or antagonist has lost his/her mind--it probably just means that a toad who wasn't creative or confident enough to establish his own identity decided to use someone else's. A compliment, maybe, but still pathetic.

Along with the above post from "TheOnlyGreyghost", here's some of her other OCPD postings:

-"Nobody from the old Speak Out would ever believe your idiotic screeds could be penned by the original GG. But knock yourself out, poser."

-"Friendly reminder for anyone who didn't log in the week this forum jumped formats.... a few trolls rushed to register names of several long-time posters (including me) before those posters had a chance to re-register our original names. Hence my new, improved posting name... and hence any drivel such as the above being posted by the fake greyghost."

-"I can't imagine that any long-time fellow posters will read the ersatz greyghost's blather and mistake it for my blather. People have unique writing styles, so careful readers will know that I'm the real deal. If the fake GG posts much, we'll probably get a pretty good idea of who that actually is, since most leopards don't easily change their spots. He'll give himself away."

Hey, TOG(anonymous), could you please stop obsessing about me and let me post in peace? It's been nine months since I've become greyghost--get over it. Maybe you can grab the revered screen name "greyghost" on ljworld.com, to make you feel better.

p_zinzer 6 years, 3 months ago

Hey poser,

I think what you did was extremely immature. Although not everyone agreed with greyghost's opinions on everything, they appreciated the erudite way in which greyghost wrote. It's very irritating to see someone take the greyghost pseudonym and then commence to making horrific grammatical blunders, spelling errors, and meaningless diatribes. Don't care who you are or whether you were first to an unfair race (shame on the Signal for the way they let this happen), you'll never fill GG's shoes.

Regards,

p_zinzer

P_Zinzer~

Thanks for getting my back. You're no slouch at putting a sentence together, yourself!

Looking forward to drinking a toast to friends--in sunshine or shadow--in downtown Baldwin.

Incidentally, I don't think the Signal had any recourse in how the forum switch was handled--that was handled by the parent company, the LJW. They may not even have been able to do much about us all retaining our names. I don't know anything about it, but it might be a function of the software. Can anyone fill us in on how this works?

In any event, it shouldn't have been a problem, if people could have been on their honor. Obviously, some people have no honor.

As for you, dishonorable dipsquat, it's not about the name (which was pretty random) being "revered"--it's about brand theft--and wishing to avoid having my acquaintances think I'm losing it and posting drivel.

Get used to me--I'm not going away. You failed to show common decency by stealing my name, so I'll fail to show common decency by following your posts with disparaging comments. Since that's the way you like to operate, you should be pleased.

jugular_juggler 6 years, 3 months ago

Jesus! This is a strange town for sure. What's going on here? Maybe I'm better off not knowing.

Anyway, the city council seems to be on the right track with trying to bring life into their downtown area (the renovation is great), but seems like there is some self-serving going on as well. Some of the actions seem pretty petty as well.

There is a difference between being political and being vengeful. There is a difference between advancing on an issue for the sake of the town you represent and advancing on an issue for your own personal goals. Let's get back on track to making Baldwin better than it already is! For everyone's sake.

Can we get this whole greyghost/OnlyGreyghost/pzinzer dispute moved over to a blog? This is the area for discussion of the news article.