Archive for Friday, September 21, 2007

BJHS students evacuated after smoke in building

September 21, 2007

Shortly after 1:15 p.m. smoke and a burning smell sent Baldwin Junior High School students outside this afternoon.

After the student and staff evacuated the building, Baldwin City firefighters arrived at the school. All students and staff were safe and evacuated the building in a timely manner.

Supt. Paul Dorathy talked to the firefighters and gave this statement regarding the situation.

"This afternoon about 1:20 they (staff members) had noticed a burning smell and smoke," Dorathy said. "Then they evacuated the building and called the fire department. The fire department came and determined that a bearing had frozen on the air conditioning units. This then burnt a rubber belt and it melted, causing some smoke. That proceeded to enter the ventilation system. After clearance from the fire department, the students went down into the air conditioned gymnasium for the afternoon."

The fire department was still working to ventilate the school around 2 p.m.

The Signal will update this story as more information becomes available.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.