Daryl Dale Pickens, Sr.
DARYL DALE PICKENS, SR.
Funeral services for Daryl Dale Pickens, Sr., 60, Baldwin City, will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home, Lawrence. Burial with military honors will follow at Oak Hill Cemetery. Mr. Pickens died Oct. 22, 2007, at Stormont-Vail Regional Medical Center, Topeka.
He was born Aug. 2, 1947, at Tonganoxie, the son of Alvie and Dorothy Smith Pickens. He attended Tonganoxie schools. He served in the U.S. Army from 1966 to 1968, attaining the rank of Sergeant. He earned a Purple Heart, a Silver Star and a Bronze Star. He was a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 852, Lawrence. He was a front-end specialist for University 66 for 13 years.
He married Debi Frazier in 1968. They later divorced.
Survivors include a companion, Charlene Winter, of the home; two sons, Daryl Dale Jr., Baldwin City, and Michael James, Butler, Mo.; a daughter-in-law, Marsha, Jefferson City, Mo.; a brother, Alvin, Lawrence, and seven grandchildren.
A son, Richard Duane (Michael's twin) and a brother, Wesley, died earlier.
Friends may call from noon to 9 p.m. today at Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home, Lawrence. Visitation with the family will be from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Memorials may be made to the Daryl Dale Pickens, Sr., Memorial Fund and sent in care of the funeral home. Online condolences may be sent to www.rumsey-yost.com.
More like this story
- Musings for the Hill, Nov. 25, 2015
- Sheriff's office investigating allegations of missing money from Wakarusa Township fireman's fund
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Kansas City Connection: 'Christmas Cheer' from a new 'Nutcracker' to Charles Dickens
- Kansas City Connection: Pick up a unique gift at an upcoming arts and crafts fair