Fire causes $8,000 damage to recreation commission office
A late-morning fire in the storage room at the Baldwin City Recreation Commission sent smoke pouring from the building at 820 High Street and caused $8,000 damage, according to Baldwin City Fire Chief Allen Craig.
A trash can near about 10 rolls of paper towels had caught on fire around 10:30 a.m. BCRC Director Monte Ezell had the blaze mostly contained with a fire extinguisher, but the Baldwin City Fire Department finished it off. Three fire trucks and 10 fire fighters responded and had the fire under control within 30 minutes, Craig said.
Flames were not visible outside, but smoke was. The state fire marshal listed the cause of the fire as careless smoking, Craig said. Smoking utensils fell into the trash can, he said.
There was smoke damage and minor fire damage for the $8,000 damage total. No one was injured, although ambulance personnel checked Ezell out after he complained of symptoms.
More like this story
- Baldwin City prepares for Friday arrival of 880 bicyclists
- Potential pilot program could make recycling easier for residents in unincorporated Douglas County
- Baldiwn City church makes free meal, fellowshp a monthly mission
- Vinland F.C.E. issues call for Tuesday morning noodle makers
- Baldwin City to pick 3 council members, 4 board members in Tuesday's election