Wilma Lucille Higbie
WILMA LUCILLE HIGBIE
Funeral services for Wilma Lucille Higbie, 95, Wellsville, were Saturday at Wilson's Funeral Home, Wellsville. Mrs. Higbie died Jan. 17, 2007, at Ransom Memorial Hospital, Ottawa.
She was born March 11, 1911, north of Wellsville, the daughter of Waverly Rhoades, Sr., and Lena Bell Bangover. She graduated from Wellsville High School in 1928 and attended Emporia State Teachers College. She taught 15 years in rural one-room schools.
She married Edwin Graham Higbie May 14, 1941, at Lawrence. He died in 2003. She was a homemaker while raising her three children and later received a teaching credential from the University of Kansas. She then taught 12 years in the Wellsville School District.
She was a member of the Pleasant Valley Birthday Club and the Senior Fit and Fun Club.
Survivors include two sons, Douglas, Williamsburg, and Milton, Wellsville; a daughter, Karyl Tsurui, Freemont, Calif.; nine grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.
Her parents, five brothers and three sisters died earlier.
Burial was at Wellsville Cemetery. Memorials may be made to Wellsville Elementary School Library, Wellsville High School Alumni Scholarship Fund or Pleasant Valley School Community and sent in care of Wilson's, Box 486, Wellsville, KS 66092.
More like this story
- Baldwin City woman 2nd person charged in alleged attack at Douglas County State Fishing Lake
- Wellsville man charged for alleged actions in Wednesday Douglas County State Lake incident
- Wellsville man accused of attacking, robbing man at Douglas County State Fishing Lake
- Douglas County 1055 reopened
- Lawrence, Douglas County officials tap D.C. conference for low-level drug offense insights