BHS girls sink rival Cardinals
EUDORA -- Becca Stroman may have missed a late free throw, but her hustle for the rebound sealed the deal here Thursday night.
After rebounding her attempt at a three-point play, the Baldwin High School senior passed the ball to junior Heather Garcia, who found senior Kelsey Verhaeghe wide-open in the corner.
Verhaeghe drained the three-point basket to give the BHS girls' team a 43-35 lead with 2:45 left in the game. Baldwin went on to win 47-38 over the rival Cardinals.
"That was a big play," coach Bob Martin said. "Becca had a pretty big game tonight and that was a big bucket for us."
Verhaeghe led Baldwin with 19 points in the victory. Garcia and Stroman each added eight each.
"I thought Kelsey really rose to the occasion in the second half," Martin said. "They were giving her a lot of trouble offensively and she had to work to get her shot off. She ended up with 19 points and they were a good 19 points."
The BHS girls will next travel to Spring Hill to play at 8 p.m. Monday.
There will be a full-story about each game in next Thursday's Signal.
More like this story
- Christie wins another term, three new members elected to Baldwin City Council
- Douglas County commissioners reach consensus on 2016 budget; property taxes to remain constant
- Potential pilot program could make recycling easier for residents in unincorporated Douglas County
- Eudora seeks county funding for paramedics, ambulance; sheriff requests funds for corrections
- Baldwin City Council candidate profiles