BHS girls sink rival Cardinals
EUDORA -- Becca Stroman may have missed a late free throw, but her hustle for the rebound sealed the deal here Thursday night.
After rebounding her attempt at a three-point play, the Baldwin High School senior passed the ball to junior Heather Garcia, who found senior Kelsey Verhaeghe wide-open in the corner.
Verhaeghe drained the three-point basket to give the BHS girls' team a 43-35 lead with 2:45 left in the game. Baldwin went on to win 47-38 over the rival Cardinals.
"That was a big play," coach Bob Martin said. "Becca had a pretty big game tonight and that was a big bucket for us."
Verhaeghe led Baldwin with 19 points in the victory. Garcia and Stroman each added eight each.
"I thought Kelsey really rose to the occasion in the second half," Martin said. "They were giving her a lot of trouble offensively and she had to work to get her shot off. She ended up with 19 points and they were a good 19 points."
The BHS girls will next travel to Spring Hill to play at 8 p.m. Monday.
There will be a full-story about each game in next Thursday's Signal.
More like this story
- Douglas County will create a public building commission
- Douglas County delegation to travel to San Antonio to look at ways to reduce jail time for mentally ill
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Baldwin board, council oppose proposed changes to local elections
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises