Helen K. Smelser
HELEN K. SMELSER
Funeral services for Helen Katherine Smelser, 92, Topeka, will be at 1 p.m. Friday, at Penwell-Gabel Mid Town Chapel, Topeka. Mrs. Smelser died April 15, 2007.
She was born Sept. 27, 1914, at Baldwin City, the daughter of William H. and Caroline (Hock) Johanning. She graduated from Baldwin High School in 1932 and from St. Luke's School of Nursing in Kansas City, Mo., in 1941. She served in the Army Nurse Corps from 1942 to 1944.
She married Joseph E. Smelser Aug. 19, 1955. He died in 1979.
After serving several years as a surgical nurse, she retired from the Colmery-O'Neil Veteran'a Administration Hospital in 1970. She was a member of St. Luke's Nursing Alumni Association, First Christian Church and Beulah Chapter No. 34, O.E.S.
Survivors include her son, W. Robert Montgomery, Lakewood. Colo.; two grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; sister-in-law, Katherine Johanning.
A brother, Carl Johanning, died earlier.
Burial will be at Penwell-Gabel Cemetery, Topeka. Visitation is from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. today. Memorials may be made to St. Luke's Nursing Alumni Association Scholarship Fund, St. Luke's Hospital, 4225 Baltimore Ave, Kansas City, MO 64111.
More like this story
- Wellsville man accused of attacking, robbing man at Douglas County State Fishing Lake
- Wellsville man charged for alleged actions in Wednesday Douglas County State Lake incident
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Former nurse accused of sexual assaulting Kansas patients
- Judge won't hear retrial of man who punched his attorney