Lawrence girl bitten when petting dog at festival
A 7-year-old Lawrence girl was hospitalized after being bitten on the face and arm by a dog at the Maple Leaf Festival, Baldwin Police Chief Mike McKenna said.
It happened around 2 p.m. Sunday near Sixth and High streets when the girl asked to pet a mixed-breed dog and the dog attacked her.
McKenna said the girl required 35 stitches and may need plastic surgery.
McKenna said the dog had been taken to a local animal hospital for observation Monday and it wasn't known whether the owner, who lives in Baldwin, would be cited. The dog was on a leash, he said.
More like this story
- Baldwin City woman in critical condition after morning U.S. 59 crash
- Officials say work on Baldwin City entrances to be finished in time for Maple Leaf Festival
- Baldwin City is ready for Maple Leaf weekend
- Baldwin City to seek KDOT funding for Eisenhower Street/US 56 intersection improvements
- Baldwin City to make application for KDOT grant to improve safety at Eighth Street highway crossing