Letter to the Editor
(Editor's note: The following is a letter to Baldwin City Council members. It was also submitted to the Signal. The writer also provided information to council members that he had found on the Internet.)
I am writing this letter to better inform the council members about the dangers of leaf burning in the city. Not only is a leaf fire a safety issue, it's a bigger health issue.
It's a proven fact that the toxins released by leaf burning can cause cancer. These toxic particles can be embedded in the lungs and stay for months and years. The city of Baldwin City should consider all the facts and decide what is best for our citizens. If the city decides to allow a few people to endanger the quality of life and wellbeing of it's citizens, it should be ready for any repercussions regarding smoke damage, lung cancer and damage to property.
We talk to our kids about the dangers of smoking, but we allow a few people to fill the town full of toxic smoke and endanger the air quality for the rest of us. Please read the enclosed information and be ready to discuss this issue at the Oct. 16 meeting.