77-year-old drives car into Dollar General
A 77-year-old Overland Park man was uninjured after plowing his car into the front of the Dollar General Store on U.S. Highway 56 around noon Tuesday.
Herbert Edwin Neale was just going to park at Dollar General and go next door to the pharmacy when something went wrong. He blames it on his diabetes.
"I put my foot down. It just shot forward on me," said Neale. "I couldn't do anything about it."
Neale said he was in Baldwin City getting his laundry done when he went to the pharmacy. From England originally, Neale has lived in the United States for eight years.
"I've never done something so stupid in my life," he said. "I was scared I was going to hurt someone. I've been driving all over the world. I've been driving on the right side of the road for years."
Just like Neale, no one in the store at the time was injured. An ambulance crew responded and checked Neale for injuries, but he wasn't transported to the hospital and watched as a wrecker removed his car from the store front.
A story and photos from the Dollar General incident will be in Thursday's Signal.
More like this story
- Kansas trooper marks 10K Twitter followers with CHiPs star
- Former Shawnee music teacher charged with molestation missing from house arrest
- Baker sees dip in Baldwin City campus enrollment with decline in number of Kansas high school graduates
- Judge won't hear retrial of man who punched his attorney
- New Baldwin City Recreation Commission sports coordinator 'hits ground running'