Lavon Charles Bates
LAVON CHARLES BATES
Graveside services for Lavon Charles Bates, 86, Ottawa, were Wednesday at Highland Cemetery, Ottawa. Mr. Bates died June 24, 2006, at Ransom Memorial Hospital, Ottawa.
He was born Sept. 25, 1919, in rural Miami County, the son of Charles and Estella Pearl (Smith) Bates. He attended grade school in Miami County.
He worked at a box factory in Baldwin City, Killough Quarries and Sunflower Ordinance Depot, De Soto.
He married Elizabeth Lucille Messina July 23, 1953, in Ottawa. She died March 6, 1975. He was a farmer and stockman and worked for the Franklin County department of roads. He married Irene Mitchell Feb. 14, 1976, in Ottawa.
Survivors include his wife of the home, two step-sons, Gene Mitchell, Baldwin City, and Terry Mitchell, Ottawa; a step-daughter, Juanita Schump, Baldwin City; eight step-grandchildren; 36 step-great-grandchildren, and many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his first wife, his parents and two sisters, Laveta Turner and Loraine Beebe.
Memorials may be made to Calvary Baptist Church, Ottawa, and sent in care of Lamb-Roberts Funeral Home, Box 14, Ottawa, KS 66067.
More like this story
- Baldwin claims first-ever state wrestling title
- Baldwin wrestlers tune up for league meet two sweep at Osawatomie
- Baldwin High School wrestling coach teaches success on mat while building long-lasting bonds
- Baldwin High School wrestlers win 4th-straight league title
- Baldwin headed to state with record 10 wrestlers