Archive for Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Fire destroys home at 9th and Indiana

February 14, 2006

Fire fighters from the Baldwin City Fire Department and Palmyra and Willow Springs townships battled a house fire at 9th and Indiana which started around 3:30 p.m. Monday, but the home was a total loss, said Fire Chief Allen Craig.

"I'd say it's pretty close," Craig said of the house, valued at $123,000, being a total loss. "The upstairs, the kitchen are are gone. I haven't been in it yet."

No one was hurt in the fire, which started in a second floor room of the older house and it was believe to have been started by an unattended candle, he said. The home is owned by Bill and Jane Stotts.

Fire fighters were hampered by a fire hydrant malfunction at the corner of 9th and Indiana. Hoses had to be dragged to other nearby hydrants to get water pressure to battle the fire.

The Signal will update the story as more information becomes available. A full story and photos will be in Thursday's print edition of the Signal.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.