Don Elton Randel
DON ELTON RANDEL
Funeral services for Don Elton Randel, 78, Lawrence, were Saturday, at Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home, Lawrence. Mr. Randel died Feb. 1, 2006, at Eudora Nursing Home.
He was born Aug. 14, 1927, in Douglas County, the son of Robert and Dora (Lucas) Randel. He attended Coal Creek Grade School and graduated from Baldwin High School. He attended Baker University. He served in the Kansas State Guard during World War II, and from 1945-1947 served in the U.S. Army with the 9th Division stationed in Germany.
He married Carol Joan Deay June 8, 1949. In 1950 he went to Floral Design School in Kansas City and opened Baldwin Floral in Sept. of that year. He was employed by Hercules Ammunition Plant in Sunflower from 1951 to 1955. He worked at Owens Flower Shop in 1956 and bought it in 1973. He sold it in 2002.
He was on the Kansas State Floral Association Board of Directors, serving as vice president and president. The Society of American Florist selected him as a member to the American Academy of Florist. He was vice chairman and chairman of FTD District 8-B. He was a charter member of the Lawrence chapter of the Cosmopolitan Club, Kansas Chamber of Commerce and was honorary member of the Kansas Affiliated Floral Artists.
Survivors include his wife of the home, four sons, Greg Randel, Eudora, Mike Randel, Lake Waukomis, Mo., Rod Randel and Mark Randel, both of Lenexa; one sister, Ruth Hird, Baldwin City, and seven grandchildren.
Burial was at Memorial Park Cemetery, Lawrence. Memorials may be made to Hospice Care of Douglas County and sent in care of Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home, PO Box 1260, Lawrence, KS 66044. Online condolences may be sent to www.rumsey-yost.com.
More like this story
- Two Baldwin City buildings placed on historic list
- Baldwin wrestlers tune up for league meet two sweep at Osawatomie
- Baldwin High School senior to graduate 2 1/2 years after massive stoke
- Baldiwn City church makes free meal, fellowshp a monthly mission
- Former Baker president honored for role in bringing university chapel from England