Vinland Fair is ready to make its 99th run
It's that time again. The Vinland Fair opens today for the 99th time in its long, rich history.
The annual fair has been held in or around Vinland for all of those 99 years and still features the same old-fashioned fun that it started with. Mostly, that's games for the young and old alike, music and lots of food -- old-fashioned homemade food, most notably the fresh pies baked and brought in by many Vinland area residents.
This year's events started early with entries in all the usual fair categories being accepted. On the dinner menu is spaghetti. The first real event of the fair starts at 6 p.m. with the talent show, which has become a favorite of fair goers. Then, at 7:30 p.m. the first of the musical performances starts with the Alfred Packer Memorial String Band.
Day two of the fair, Friday, is chalked full of events as well. Friday is also the day of one of the favored Vinland Fair meals -- homemade chicken and noodles. Musical entertainment for the evening, starting at 7:30 p.m., is the Shyster Mountain Gang Band. Another fair favorite, the antique tractor pull, starts at 7 p.m.
Saturday's event round out the annual affair, with the last event being the homemade ice cream making contest which patrons can taste starting at 7 p.m.
More like this story
- Push on to make catfish a Kansas state symbol
- Baldwin City children's safety seat check helps parents correct common problems
- Baldwin City man's car stands out among hotrods and muscle cars
- Christie wins another term, three new members elected to Baldwin City Council
- Billionaire buys Woodlands racing complex, but future fuzzy